First stage clone chart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a very interesting thread. So how far are you guys in compiling the clone chart? It would be interested to find out for each reg who designed it and who the OEM is. No mention of Atomic or Apeks here?

I'll beat the rush and add:

Halcyon H-75P = Scubapro Mk 25 DIN with a different swivel cap and blue trim.

Halcyon H-50D = Scubapro Mk 17 DIN with blue trim.

Halcyon Halo = Scubapro G250V with an H logo on the burge button and blue trim.

Halcyon Aura = Scubapro R390/R395

can anyone make a decisive list of the manufacturing houses. There are only a few that I know of.

Tabatha- aka TUSA
Zeagle
Beauchat
Ocean Divers Supply

as far as I know, there 4 shops make every reg out there. Not sure who makes Aqualung or Apeks these days, I know Apeks used to make there reg in house in the UK, but that shop went under just prior to being bought up by Aqualung.
I don't know about Poseidon, they might make there own stuff in-house as well. and I have no idea who makes the Atomic stuff

Of course, in my mind it doesn't much matter who actually built the reg. in the end, the parts are not interchangeable as there is always small spec differences in them. Its more a question of wonder.

I am wondering the same about Atomic. Are they actually producing everything in-house or outsourcing? Since their regs do have some unique features and are priced at a premium, it seems like they are not borrowing/outsourcing their manufacturing process, but who knows...

Regarding Atomic, if their 1st stages are indeed made via a CNC process from a solid block (instead of being cast, like the rest of the 1st stages around) I suppose that it's very likely that they are made in house (at least the main body and metallic parts). CNC machining is expensive but do not require a huge series... For the 2nd stage bodies that are injection moulded I doubt are made in house (too expensive to make all the stamps for those small series).

I saw a youtube video wherein a conshelf was being machined from a solid piece of brass. I think this is a pretty common process...

I don't know of any regulator first stages that are not built almost entirely on CNC mill. Most are made from solid brass bar stock then CNC milled into final size and dimension. The internals must be CNC milled, it is the only way to achieve the required finish.

as far as Apeks- at one time, prior to ~1997 (I believe), Apeks was produced in-house, as a UK based production line, which shut down just after Zeagle split entirely from them and Aqualung buying up the Apeks brand name, which today, Apeks is nothing but a brand name entirely owned and operated out of Aqualung, but then I don't know who produces the Aqualung regs these days, from external examination it appears the new Apeks lines are very similar to the OSD regs (XTX200 -> RG1009, and XTX40/50 ->RG1002 ) and the AL regs are more similar to the Beuchat built ones. obviously, I don't consider any of this defamatory, OSD is probably the world leader in production of regulators (at least in volume)

I believe Atomic builds there regs in-house, they are based on SP designs, they are the same engineers afterall. or at least they were, the 2 guys that started Atomic, designed many of SP regs prior to starting their own company. To say they are better, I can't say I have seen them actually perform better, there is a lot of hype about the exotic metals, but testing hasn't shown them to be any better.

The Zeagle, Sherwood SR-1, and the Aeris ION all seem to top out the breathing machines every time, and generally get excellent ergonomic ratings as well for half the price. There are ton of companies that will get my money long before I spend a dime on Atomic. The SR-1 is a awesome reg, and a properly tuned Zeagle nearly freeflows at depth.

I don't know of any regulator first stages that are not built almost entirely on CNC mill. Most are made from solid brass bar stock then CNC milled into final size and dimension. The internals must be CNC milled, it is the only way to achieve the required finish.

I thought that at least some of the cheaper 1st stages are cast, not entirely CNC milled (at least for the main body, for the internals I honestly don't have a clue :confused: )

as far as Apeks- at one time, prior to ~1997 (I believe), Apeks was produced in-house, as a UK based production line, which shut down just after Zeagle split entirely from them and Aqualung buying up the Apeks brand name, which today, Apeks is nothing but a brand name entirely owned and operated out of Aqualung, but then I don't know who produces the Aqualung regs these days, from external examination it appears the new Apeks lines are very similar to the OSD regs (XTX200 -> RG1009, and XTX40/50 ->RG1002 ) and the AL regs are more similar to the Beuchat built ones. obviously, I don't consider any of this defamatory, OSD is probably the world leader in production of regulators (at least in volume)

Hehe. I know a small group of 'serious' divers who would call that insinuation (that Apeks regs are not made in house) blasphemy :no:

Jokes aside, the Well Marine Diver (www.wmd.co.tw) FR-02 2nd stage and FS-804 DIN ICE 1st stage (to me) look pretty similar to some older Apeks reg (I have that WMD model at home), but I can't say if it's an 'OEM' model, or a copy / rippoff. For now they worked flawlessly, and the ANSTI machine results I received with them are good too.

BTW, needless to say, I'll soon get also the above mentioned ODS regs (RG1009 and RG1002), so if anyone is interested I can post a few pictures of them just to check if they just look like the 'real thing' or if there's something else :)

Ok folks, here is a statement from Apeks posted on another forum:

"All Apeks parts are made at our purpose built factory in England. We also do our own chrome plating on machined parts to ensure that the quality of this area is of the highest standard too. All our moulded parts are also made at our factory. This is what gives us the edge over our competitors as we have full quality control over all processes as everything is made in our own factory.
All the best
Tony Gallagher"

It looks like there actually is a factory in UK. Now why did you believe that the factory was closed in 1997? :shakehead:

Also, per Atomic's web site (Atomic Aquatics Research Development and Manufacturing) they produce everything in-house in California and don't share key parts with anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom