First Thougths - Oceanic VTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Boy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just finished a 4 day dive with the new Oceanic VTX (Formally the Aeris A300). Since I am a huge Oceanic fan and owned the OC1, I am very familiar with their computer menu navigation. The VTX is very easy to setup and navigate. The screen is beautiful underwater, but above water you just can't see it if there is any direct sun light. I have to admit I am disappointed in the screen above water, in any type of direct light. I have set it on 100% brightness, but that doesn't help. If I had a "do over", I would not have purchased this particular dive computer since it is almost impossible to record/plan any dive data as you perform your surface interval. I have spoken to Oceanic pertaining to this issue hoping they may come up with a "firm ware" upgrade similar to the one they had on their console unit. I hope they can.

Beside the above noted issue, it worked flawlessly. It easily synced to the transmitter and as I mentioned, I love the menu system AND it works great once you are on your dive.

Jeff

Attachments

• 20141201_205010_resized.jpg
    20141201_205010_resized.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,522
I also saw those but think I am leaning more towards the OCI because of it being useful as a watch and dive computer plus it can run for 300 hours vs the 30 of the oled display vtx(according to oceanic's website).

I just bought an Atom 3.0 yesterday. I was really considering the A300 CS OLED, but what I read here on SB is that the battery life on them really sucks. How was your battery life?

With your report on the screen, I'm thinking I made a good choice going with the Atom (not to mention being $300 cheaper).

The battery life was just fine. It still says the battery is good and I dove 9 dives for a total of around 8 hours. Since the battery is a standard CR2 I really wasn't concerned about replacing it. I always carry extra batteries and O rings, so replacing it is no big deal.

I tried out this computer
1st one -- Put me in Deco on 2nd dive of the day
This was while I was helping an open water class -- Dive number 1 was about 20 minutes no deeper then 40 feet.

Returned got a new one

2nd one -- this one said I was diving to 225 feet on the second dive (was at 50 feet)
24 hours later and out of the water it said I was still at 140 feet

Returned got a new one

3rd unit - This one started flashing all sorts of error messages and asking me to calibrate the computer over and over.
Then it went black and never woke up.

Returned it and decided this isn't the computer for me.

According to the rep -- I am the only one who had any problems so I must have gotten every bad unit they had :)

I took one to the Bahamas late last year and really enjoyed it. The lighting of the screen made it so easy to see without even having to move my arm up to view it. They have had a few glitches early on but over the last few months they have seemed to have worked them all out and now it is a pretty solid unit. Battery life is not an issue. I went on 19 dives and still came back with a full battery or at least what appeared to be full. I am by no means a computer whiz of any kind but with this computer navigating the menu's was simple even for me. You just can't beat that. I have sold tons of these units and the feedback isn't all in yet but I would say all in all it was a great success.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom