First time cavern diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpacilio

Reaction score
I just got back from Cancun where I signed up for a 2 tank cavern dive at Dos Ojos. I hadn't dove in 2 summers and only had time for this one dive trip. Of course I've done a bunch of open water and open wrecks and was feeling confident. The guide was very good and the group was small (only four of us). I'm not at all nervous in tight spaces and I like the dark but I still had some issues with the dives. During the first dive I was nervous about not being able to go back on my own without dragging out the whole group and I almost bailed. I had a great time once I calmed down but got very cold toward the end. I did bail on the second dive because I got cold as soon as I hit the water and the thought of being under for 50min was just too much. I guess I'm looking for advice from others here. I loved being in the cavern and I know I should not have made that my first dive in two summers. I'm really trying to figure how to proceed. I want to do this again but now I'm worried about how I'll re-act.

Thanks

Your best bet for feeling confident and comfortable doing cavern dives is doing a course towards Cavern certification. When I was last in Mexico I did a 3 day NACD cavern course in which I was taught proper procedures for OOA emergencies, light failures, guideline usage, valve failures and so much more.

Once complete I felt completely comfortable entering the caverns with my (certified) buddies without the use of a guide. A two tank dive just can't compare.

www.zerogravity.com.mx

bpacilio
after I completed my ow . the first dives I did were in "blue grotto" . told my buddy we were not to go deep ,we were diveing with a cavern cert diver ,my buddy goes deep I stop they come back . next dive I go deep and enjoy it . my point relax find a good buddy you trust and go dive caverns are real fun

Wet exposure portection for that temprature and that duration is a 7mm jumpsuit and a beanie.

Roak

bpacilio:
I loved being in the cavern and I know I should not have made that my first dive in two summers. I'm really trying to figure how to proceed. I want to do this again but now I'm worried about how I'll re-act.

I think you've answered your own question about why you reacted how you did. I dived Dos Ojos in April and loved it. I was apprehensive about cavern diving even though I had been diving all through winter in the UK in dark, cold, low vis water. A dark, confined dive is perhaps not the best re-entry into diving after a 2 summer lay off. I would have thought you should have done at least a couple of shallow reef dives to get yourself back into it before going into the cenotes.

If you build up your experience gradually and appropriately, there is no reason why you shouldn;t go back to the cenotes and have a blast. I had a fright one time diving and the way I dealt with it was to go back to the pool, then build up shallow dives until my confidence was back. It worked.

You are right - the cenotes are fantastic. Make sure you get the most out of them by being mentally ready for them. And physically, of course. I did 2 tank dive on a 3mm wetsuit but if you were so cold after one dive you need to get either a 5 or 7mm wetsuit. It's whatever you are comfortable in.

Good luck and do a trip report after your next cenote dive! :dazzler1:

i would agree that a cavern certification is best, but since you live in New Jersey,
overhead environment training for you would be probably easier to acquire through
some wreck diving (penetration) training. i don't know if such a thing exists up there,
but you could call around and see.

the NSS-CDS or NACD course is a good one, and you can take it in Mexico next
time you go, or you can come to Ginnie Springs (Florida) and take it there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom