First time Diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MEDICJOJO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Cozumel and I have to say I now see what all the fuss is about on the diving their. My wife and I have dived a lot of places in the Caribbean but Cozumel was just awesome. We stayed at an all inclusive resort on the North end of the Island and dove with Scuba Du. And I have to say of all the dive boats we have been on this was my best experience. We dropped our BC before climbing the latter and before I could even get up and back to my spot my gear was changed out to a fresh tank and a bottle of water setting beside of it. Dove with DM Alex while their and he couldn’t of been better, very professional and really eager to make each dive a true enjoyment. We did a 2 tank dive each day. Diving Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos Reef, Columbia Wall, SanFrancisco, Planacar (my favorite), Yucab Reef, Plancar Caves and Cedral Pass. Seen Sea Turtles on every dive 4 Nurse Sharks, Lobsters, Eagle Ray and sting 3 Sting Rays, Octopus and many more. The most marine life I have ever been around. Looking forward to being able to go back and hit some of the other dive sites. It was better than I could of ever expected. But I would like to say one thing about my trip that I noticed aolt of here as to other places I’ve dove, a lot of people don’t tip and its really sad when a crew and DM go out of their way for your enjoyment and safety and you stop to let them off the boat (we picked up small groups at two other resorts) and they say that was great, that was awesome and just give a hand shake. I don’t have a clue as to what the crew is paid but I think tipping is a professional courtesy if you have had that good of an experience.

even for just one time they're the one your life depend upon is priceless.

Many tip at the end of their days diving, others tip on the last day, some leave the tip at the dive shop so all employees get something.

Don't judge others unless you definitely know they are dead beats. I myself tip at the last day unless I have to use an alternate dive op then I will tip that crew.

I agree with you that tipping is a courtesy and good service should be rewarded.

Don't forget the maids. They make next to nothing and work their butts off!

Mexican minimum wage I believe has just been raised recently to about $5.75 a Day

I used to tip at the end of my diving but that made it a bit tougher to make sure everyone I had been served by got their tip. I kept track of which DM's & boat crews, and how often etc, and then tracked them down to hand them a tip based on how many dives they were a part of. Keep in mind that was when using a multi boat op with a big staff, but I've switched to a daily routine because it's far simpler. I think it's easier to tip a small op at the end of the trip where you've likely been served by the majority of their staff, but with the big boat ops there's a good chance you'll be tipping people that never were a part of your diving, which cuts into the tip which went to those who did serve you. Just my thinking, and maybe the ops keep track of who deserves & who doesn't based on daily logs.

Thanks for your report and I'm really excited that you learned about all the fuss we make about Cozumel diving here at SB. Hope you'll return soon and discover more -- because there's always more to find! Scuba Du is a top-notch outfit and Alex is a fine (little) DM -- thanks for taking care of him and the crew.
Saludos!

Many tip at the end of their days diving, others tip on the last day, some leave the tip at the dive shop so all employees get something.

Don't judge others unless you definitely know they are dead beats. I myself tip at the last day unless I have to use an alternate dive op then I will tip that crew.

What he said. I tend to tip discreetly, myself, so if you were out with me you'd probably not see it.

I don't mind being the first to tip. I don't mind tipping out in the open, right in front of other people - even sort of nudging them to head in the direction of their wallets... But how much? Say after a 2 tank day trip - would an Abe Lincoln (one for the DM, one for the crewman) be adequate?

I'm not saying I'm as poor as a church mouse (sometimes though I covet their collection of fine cheeses), but in reality, I could just be roughly described as your average "thousandaire" factory-Joe.

I don't mind being the first to tip. I don't mind tipping out in the open, right in front of other people - even sort of nudging them to head in the direction of their wallets... But how much? Say after a 2 tank day trip - would an Abe Lincoln (one for the DM, one for the crewman) be adequate?

I'm not saying I'm as poor as a church mouse (sometimes though I covet their collection of fine cheeses), but in reality, I could just be roughly described as your average "thousandaire" factory-Joe.

Just like at home 10 to 20 percent depending on your service.

I used to tip at the end of my diving but that made it a bit tougher to make sure everyone I had been served by got their tip. I kept track of which DM's & boat crews, and how often etc, and then tracked them down to hand them a tip based on how many dives they were a part of. Keep in mind that was when using a multi boat op with a big staff, but I've switched to a daily routine because it's far simpler. I think it's easier to tip a small op at the end of the trip where you've likely been served by the majority of their staff, but with the big boat ops there's a good chance you'll be tipping people that never were a part of your diving, which cuts into the tip which went to those who did serve you. Just my thinking, and maybe the ops keep track of who deserves & who doesn't based on daily logs.

Yes I see where your coming from. I use a 1 boat op so the Captain and DM do all the work. When I have to use a Large OP I tip at the shop to make sure the guys you don't see get something. ie. guys who haul gear, tanks, water, snacks, schedule the boats, fit like divers together, security around the lockers, help clean and fuel boats etc. All these people are part of your dive trip.

Point is don't be a dead beat. Give the poor guys something for their efforts, any way you want to.

I tip $5.00 per tank, and have not insulted anybody so far.

As for the maids at the resort, I tip her $10.00 a dday.
We have been to the Royal resorts in Cancun and $10.00 a day
is money well spent. She spent about 2 or 3 hours a day in our 2 bdr unit
washing everything in site. She even washed our windows every day.

Jim Breslin

Back
Top Bottom