First Time Going to Bonaire - Rent Apartment or Book Through Dive Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Planning a trip to Bonaire for October 2019. From what I've been able to research so far, it seems like renting an apartment from something like VRBO, renting a vehicle, and purchasing the unlimited shore diving package from an operation is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than just booking the whole thing through the dive operation. Am I missing something here? Specifically looking to do the unlimited shore diving for 6 days with 6 boat dives, rental truck, 2 divers.

Also, my buddy and I are looking to dive our faces off. What operation would you all recommend? Looking for a place that has the best/most options for tank pickups.

Any other suggestions for a newbie to Bonaire?

Thanks!

My wife & I prefer the former, but if going with a buddy for your first trip with a goal of max bottom time, I would book the shore dive package with Buddy Dive. Super easy access house reef will get you wet quickly and is probably worth at least one extra dive a day be it early morning, late afternoon, or night dive before/after a day of truck diving. I would also grab boat dives on the fly rather than a boat dive package. You'll want to do a couple boat dives to hit Klein and maybe a northern trip to hit sites you can't reach from shore, but boat dives every day will cut into your shore diving where you control the length of your dives and ability to max your bottom time. On subsequent visits you might try booking a la cart as it's a very enjoyable way to experience Bonaire "dive freedom." All IMHO, YMMV. Have fun. :)

Also, we've had great success with October on Bonaire.

We rented an apartment that we really enjoyed, very peaceful, an easy walk to downtown. Treasure by the Sea, Bonaire. Chris and Su were very nice and helpful, they even picked us up at the airport. We rented their truck for the week that was a good truck, and the apartment was very, very nice. We had a full kitchen with 2 bedrooms (we only needed 1 but that's what they had available), nicely decorated, very clean, secured with a fence, with rinse tank and gear lockers, a wonderful patio to sit out and relax, BBQ equipment available, plus the price was right. I really enjoyed the privacy and personal service they provided, plus having the kitchen we picked up groceries so we could eat breakfast there and take lunch along with us or eat there. Evenings we would walk downtown for dinner then enjoy an ice cream on our walk back and relax on our patio with a glass of wine or beer. I understand they have several rentals so be sure to contact them by email to check their availability.

You can probably save a few bucks by booking everything separately but by using a resort like Buddy dive you get airport pick up, accommodation, on site security, breakfast, rental truck, dive shop, tanks, unlimited shore diving, and a good house reef all in a package. Doesn't get any easier. You would need to drive into town but there are OK restaurants on site and in walking distance if you prefer not to.

There are lots of options on Bonaire and almost all are good.

We stay at Buddies and love doing a shore night dive at the house reef, then having a beer and a casual meal on the sand at Blennies while watching the other divers lights in the water.

We have availability and would love to accommodate you. Our guests love shore diving right from the condo and use dive friends next door. We offer a discount on their dive packages if you book through us, and we can shop around for the best car rental deals, but we can't always find you a bargain. October is a great time to come for coral spawning! Our guest reviews will give you a good idea of what you can expect. Good luck!
www.tropicofdestiny.com

I would agree with using Dive Friends for your tanks, plus there is a location right across road from airport. You could book boat dives thru them but why bother unless you want to dive Klein Bonaire since you will see boats docked right besides all shore dive locations.

Also, we used Dive Friends for our tank supply and I was very happy with them. Several locations so you can easily and conveniently exchange tanks as needed. They were very easy to work with and always had consistent fills on Nitrox.

Thanks for the input all. After talking with my buddy, I think we're pretty solid on the idea of doing everything a la carte or close to it.

Dive Friends Bonaire sounds great, 7 locations near dive sites seems like a huge convenience!

As far as a house or apartment, we've compiled some of our wishlist. Anything else you guys can think of or any additional places you can recommend would be great.

Wants/Needs:

- 2 bedroom
- Air conditioning in bedrooms
- Kitchen
- Gear rinse tanks (want but not need)
- Gear storage (want but not need)
- Relatively close to a Dive Friends Bonaire location

Since you've got a buddy it's not a problem staying at a resort. I travel alone and dive solo. The single suppliment kills me. I've always rented an apartment with a full kitchen and a truck. I get my unlimited air package from Dive Friends because they have so many places you can drop off empties and pick up full tanks.

I stay at Hamlet Oasis. The apartments are right where the Dive Friends shop is at the Cliff dive site. Very convienent, especially for night dives with the tarpon. It's right on the water. I think they meet all your requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom