First time in Northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubabun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

My husband and I will be in the Boston area the end of August first week in September.

We have never dove this area before so we are hoping that some of our fellow divers could help us out.

What can we expect the water temps to be?

Can you recommend a good dive shop where we can rent tanks and weights?

What about dive charters or shore dives? Who to use who to avoid.

How about favorite dive sites?

Any information will be greatly appprecited!

We are really looking forward to diving this area!

Thanks!

The most convenient diving near Boston is Cape Ann. I suggest Cape Ann Divers for rental of tanks/weights. They also do guided dives to some of shore dives as well as charters. Their web site is Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

Also try Fran Marceaux who charters the Daybreaker. franm52@aol.com (508) 873-8339
He also runs charters off cape ann

Good shore sites are posted on Cape Ann Divers website.

You can pretty much just show up at the shop when you want to dive, rent your gear and they'll take care of you.

Water temps are the best that time of year. 7 mil wetsuit is fine. 60s on surface, mid-upper 50s at depth.

Must dives are Old Garden Beach or Folly Cove. Parking issues on weekends though.

The most convenient diving near Boston is Cape Ann.
That's probably true if you're driving down from New Hampshire, but if you're in Boston, diving the Boston Harbor Islands National Park with Boston Harbor Diving Company is generally much more convenient than driving 45 minutes to an hour north, especially if you plan to get on a boat when you get up there. The harbor islands offer a variety of wrecks at depths from 30 feet to 200+, and there's a great selection of terrain rivaling anything I've seen on Cape Ann. The scallop beds are really productive too, and if you've never done a scallop dive, I recommend trying it out. It's hard to beat Cape Ann for shore diving though, and Fran is an AWESOME captain if you want to get on a charter up there.

might help a bit to better define "in the Boston area."

We are staying Aug 29- Sept 3 in Westford, MA
From Sept 4 - Sept 7 right in Downtown Boston.

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Yup, figured we'd need the 7mm. What's the viz like?

that time of year, assuming no rain, storms, average 15-20 feet. Westford MA is not far from either Cape Ann. I forgot about charters out of Boston, good call checking out islands outside of Boston harbor. (outer Brewster..)

You'll be perfectly comfortable in a 7 mil.

Vis is always a roll of the dice at best. If we get 30 feet we're all calling up our friends and telling em about the great day they missed. Somedays you can't see your fins. All depends.

PTN

Buy a drysuit, anything colder than 70degrees warrants a drysuit IMHO...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom