First time in water with a DC 1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greylion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gallery :: Grand Cayman 2010

Here's some pictures I took last week in Grand Cayman. This was taken with a Sea Lfe DC1000 with one digital pro flash. It was the first time I had the camera in the water, as this was a Christmas present from the wife. I think they turned out pretty good.

It's apparent you were using some sort of flash. Was it the external strobe or the internal flash?

Were any of the pics taken with the wide angle lens?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Art

It's apparent you were using some sort of flash. Was it the external strobe or the internal flash?

Were any of the pics taken with the wide angle lens?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Art

Yes all were taken with an external flash and many were taken with a wide angle lens. The camera was the Sealife SL108 DC1000 Elite Set Digital Camera. It comes with the external flash and wide angle lens.

Sealife SL108 DC1000 Elite Set Digital Camera

Great pics! Looks like you saw quite a few eels!

Great pics! Looks like you saw quite a few eels!

Yeah, we did see a lot of eels and on two dives we saw a Golden Tail, a spotted and a green moray all in one dive, pretty cool.

I looked at your pics they look great - Caymans a great place (been there several times myself diving) but I noted that you just got your DC1000 and I was wondering if you could give me a few minutes of time...??

I myself am looking at a few cameras (hopefully making a purchase here in the next couple weeks) as I will be leaving for the Philippines in 6 weeks..

I was wondering what made you choose the DC1000 - i was looking at the same package, and are you happy with it (so far - even though you just got it). Ease of Use? fucntions? value for the dolllar??

I have noted some negative posts in other forums which kinda scares me - but they seem to be mostly people complaining about repair/warranty issues.....

Is this your first camera (for diving usage) and would you reccomend it? Any help / comments would be great and anyone else who reads this feel free to comment as well....

I looked at your pics they look great - Caymans a great place (been there several times myself diving) but I noted that you just got your DC1000 and I was wondering if you could give me a few minutes of time...??

I myself am looking at a few cameras (hopefully making a purchase here in the next couple weeks) as I will be leaving for the Philippines in 6 weeks..

I was wondering what made you choose the DC1000 - i was looking at the same package, and are you happy with it (so far - even though you just got it). Ease of Use? fucntions? value for the dolllar??

I have noted some negative posts in other forums which kinda scares me - but they seem to be mostly people complaining about repair/warranty issues.....

Is this your first camera (for diving usage) and would you reccomend it? Any help / comments would be great and anyone else who reads this feel free to comment as well....

I used to use a Nikon Coolpix 885 in an Ikelite housing with an Ikelite DS50 strobe for several years and it worked great but it was time to upgrade and I wanted something with at least 10 megapixels but was small and compact with one strobe that was easy to use and had a short learning curve, this fit the bill perfectly for me. It packs up in a small lightweight travel case that is no bigger than a woman's purse and is very easy to carry on a plane. I could always add another strobe if I wanted, but one is easy to work with and hold underwater. It comes with a wide angle lens which is very useful to get closer to your subjects, a big plus underwater. For the money you can't beat it, but I would buy the DC1200 if I was buying it today because it's available and I like the looks of the piano keys and each version has been better than the one before it. In summation, I find it a very good point and shoot easy to use camera both below and above water that I would buy again. There are better cameras available for sure, but for the money and the small profile it affords I think it works just as advertised. You'll need to buy an SD card is all.

Here's a link of a review and a how to article worth reading that one of the guys posted and I found useful before I used mine in Grand Cayman.

SeaLife DC1000 With SeaLife SL961 Digital Pro Flash

I hope that helps?

Jim

Where you at in Chicago? I grew up on the South Side by Midway airport.

sorry about the delay - I am actually in Gilberts (just outside of the Elgin area)......I figured "chicago" is an easier place to identify with then the not on the map Gilberts.....thanks for the info I think we have actually decided to go with this camera - in the process of checking with my LDS to see if they got the DC1200......(i dont think they do)

I also purchased the dc1000, although I upgraded from the dc600.
I just purchased the camera since I had the strobe already. I took it to Puerto Rico, by the way
has great diving. It took really great pictures, although I set the strobe flash setting incorrectly. I was still able to take great pictures, can't imagine the pictures with the correct setting. I liked the dc600, love the dc1000, and wish I could have waited for the dc1200.
The camera keeps getting progressively better. One major thing to note, the battery life
has increased greatly. The dc600 used one battery a dive, the dc1000 I never changed the battery or recharged it, and I used it as my land camera. Needless to say I purchased an extra battery for nothing, which is a good thing. Thanks Sealife for a great product!!!

I may buy the dc1200 anyway!!!

Thanks for the info. I was about to buy the DC1000, when I saw an ad on the DC1200. I pre-ordered it throught leisure pro (leisure pro is an authorized dealer for SeaLife). The price is $799.00, $100 less than other places that are accepting pre-orders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom