First time NorCal diver needs recommendation and buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be on vacation with my wife for several days including a couple of weekdays planned for Carmel/Monterey. I figure that's probably my best chance to get in the one day of diving that she has graciously granted. So maybe I will finally get to see what kelp diving is all about and maybe spot a Garibaldi while she lies on a beach or goes shopping. She has forbidden me to bring along any gear, so I will have to rent everything. I need some help.

I've been told if I only have one day, Pt. Lobos is my best shot as far as diving conditions and visibility. My dive day will be either Wednesday June 25 or Thursday the 26th, so I don't think I'll have a problem with a reservation. But I will need a buddy to go to Lobos. So if anyone is available either of those days, please let me know. I'm an advanced/tech/rebreather diver from New Jersey if that matters.

And if anyone has a better alternative for me than Lobos, please speak up. I'm more accustomed to boat diving than long surface swims, but I haven't found any boats that go out during the week.

And I will need to rent all of my gear (unless I can sneak a few things into our suitcase). I've looked at the web sites for several shops and have not found one that rents drysuits. I would rather dive dry than freeze my butt off and feel like the Michelin man in a 7 mm wetsuit and hooded vest. So if you know a shop that rents drysuits, pass it along.

How about steel tanks and/or large capacity tanks? I'm sure I would be ok with just an 80, but in cold water in a new environment with all rented equipment, some extra gas would be helpful. Or I could sling a stage bottle if I could rent one.

So can anyone help out a poor, misguided easterner who's yearning to get some Pacific water experience? Please be my guide.

Ken

I will be on vacation with my wife for several days including a couple of weekdays planned for Carmel/Monterey. I figure that's probably my best chance to get in the one day of diving that she has graciously granted. ***

Hi there Ken. Welcome to California diving! Hope that you have a great time with our kelp and on your trip.

I've been told if I only have one day, Pt. Lobos is my best shot as far as diving conditions and visibility. *** And if anyone has a better alternative for me than Lobos, please speak up. I'm more accustomed to boat diving than long surface swims, but I haven't found any boats that go out during the week.

Some might disagree with me but, if you are not accustomed to surface swimming, Lobos might NOT be your best bet. I have found, in my limited Lobos experience that in order to get to a good Lobos site, you have to be prepared to do some pretty long surface swims, out of the cove and around the "point." Generally Whaler's Cove, where divers entry when shore diving, is not very good with respects to viz. If you want a dive site where there is generally a lot to see, easy, etc. try the Breakwater. There is kelp, metridium, generally tons of nudis, anemone, and bigger critters as well. Or another site like MacAbee, etc.

... or get on a boat. Which will get you away from the shore! :D But remember that California boats don't do "taxi service" - so you'll have to get back to the boat on your own generally.

And I will need to rent all of my gear (unless I can sneak a few things into our suitcase). I've looked at the web sites for several shops and have not found one that rents drysuits. I would rather dive dry than freeze my butt off and feel like the Michelin man in a 7 mm wetsuit and hooded vest. So if you know a shop that rents drysuits, pass it along.

Wallin's Dive Center in Redwood City will rent a drysuit to someone who can show DS cert. Wallin's Dive Center -- Bay Area dive center in San Francisco area (San Carlos): SSI Scuba Certification is their website. They are nice people and rent tanks as well. For renting other stuff, I know that Bamboo Reef in Monterey rent hoods and all sorts of gear. Not sure about the other stores, haven't had occaission to see.

Again, welcome to NorCal diving. Hope that you have a blast and please let us know how you do!

Thanks for all the helpful info. I called Bamboo Reef and they can set me up with all equipment including a drysuit. But whether I go to Lobos or Breakwater, I still want a buddy. I've never been around kelp and I've heard and read that there are some tricks to diving it. And I've been told I can't even get into Lobos without a buddy.

So come on, isn't there someone out there who wants to dive next Wednesday or Thursday?

I would actually prefer a boat, but none of them go out during the week. I can arrange a guide through the shop, but that takes some of the fun out of the dive and some more money out of my pocket.

I did 3 wreck dives today. 50 degrees and 8 foot vis. Aaaahh, New Jersey diving.

Ken

Thanks for all the helpful info. I called Bamboo Reef and they can set me up with all equipment including a drysuit. But whether I go to Lobos or Breakwater, I still want a buddy. I've never been around kelp and I've heard and read that there are some tricks to diving it. And I've been told I can't even get into Lobos without a buddy.

So come on, isn't there someone out there who wants to dive next Wednesday or Thursday?

I would actually prefer a boat, but none of them go out during the week. I can arrange a guide through the shop, but that takes some of the fun out of the dive and some more money out of my pocket.

I did 3 wreck dives today. 50 degrees and 8 foot vis. Aaaahh, New Jersey diving.

Ken

Which day, Wednesday or Thursday?

Which day, Wednesday or Thursday?

Doesn't matter much to me. Whatever is better for the buddy I find. My schedule is a little flexible. I just know that we'll be driving up from San Simeon on Tuesday and reaching Monterey by Tuesday night. So either day works fine.

I would prefer to dive both days, but I couldn't afford the divorce attorney that comes along with that decision.

Now that I did a little more planning, I think Thursday might be a little better. Since I won't be getting to Monterey until Tuesday night, I have to have enough time to get to Bamboo Reef to get my rental stuff. And the schedule for Lobos says it's already full on Wednesday.

If someone is only available on Wednesday, I'll make sure I get to Bamboo Reef early enough. But we'll have to dive Breakwater or someplace other than Lobos.

Ken

hey ken, you are from jersey? and a tech diver? hey have you been to the u-boat out there? i'm reading a book called shadow divers- all about a u-boat wreck. ever heard of it or dove it?
babyjoe75

Back
Top Bottom