First time packing for a trip with SCUBA gear. Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also remember to dry your gear as well as you can for the flight home. The water can add some pounds and in humid climates this can be hard to do so if you can hang your gear in an air conditioned room to dry. Also if you brought lights with you throw away any batteries to save a few pounds for the ride home.

Knives are allowed in checked luggage only. I love to cook and since most of the time a rental condo/house has dull knives, we have a really cool knife set that consists of one handle with enterchangeable blades. What items would you guys suggest for first aid, repairs, etc? I've already picked up 4 bottles of sunscreen and a couple bottles of bug spray......good thing is the bags will be lighter on the way home.

Has anyone ever had a problem with taking a diver's knife in checked-in luggage on a flight? We will be flying with United and I believe their policies allow this but not sure if we should expect any "surprises"??
As it is a small dive knife and not one of those Rambo pig stickers. I routinely put a Swiss Army knife in my (checked in) luggage and have never had a problem. I use a line cutter these days instead of a knife and never get any problems with that.

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, but if you're staying in country you could also ship all your gear to your destination. It might be more expensive, but you wouldn't have to haul it through the airports.

On my most recent family vacation my daughter and I also took a separate baf for our dive gear. My BC and both of our wetsuits went in a wheeled duffel with separate bottom section. My wife and I tend to pack light anyways and the duffel is big enough for our usual vacation clothes. We also pack a few nicer outfits for going out to dinner.

My daughter rents both BC and regs so we don't worry about those. I put both sets of fins in my wheeled scuba bag and the masks and lights in her mesh duffel bag that then gets packed in the larger scuba bag. When carting gear around we've found it just about a necessity to have our scuba bags with us on vacation. My dive computer goes with me in my carry on backpack.

We usually have to bite the bullet and pay for an extra bag. Even at $25 a bag each way I feel it's important to have our own gear and exposure suits. My daughter is a little on the tiny side and not all wetsuits fit her that well. Just as Peter points out, at the cost of the vacation itself the additional cost for luggage isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Besides, for the younger kids we fill the remaining space with pool toys. I'd easily spend $40 or more at the resort for their toys if I didn't bring them from home so in the end the $$ saved from renting gear and buying toys is a wash.

Congrats on the certification, welcome to the addiction we call scuba, and have a great vacation.

Knives are allowed in checked luggage only. I love to cook and since most of the time a rental condo/house has dull knives, we have a really cool knife set that consists of one handle with enterchangeable blades. What items would you guys suggest for first aid, repairs, etc? I've already picked up 4 bottles of sunscreen and a couple bottles of bug spray......good thing is the bags will be lighter on the way home.

A knife with one handle with enterchangeable blades thats pretty cool. Think I would have skipped sunscreen and bug spray (more weight and SPACE)and just picked some up down there. I think you can get away with a small save a dive kit and a small first aid kit. At least an o-ring kit and something to stop blood from going all over. Also the keys are filled with dive shops so things you might need to make a repair are very nearby.

As it is a small dive knife and not one of those Rambo pig stickers. I routinely put a Swiss Army knife in my carry on and have never had a problem. I use a line cutter these days instead of a knife and never get any problems with that.

No prob checking my Rambo pig sticker. Someone was just looking online and saw you can check a sword not to mention a spear gun. Just not going to get that stuff in your carry on.

As it is a small dive knife and not one of those Rambo pig stickers. I routinely put a Swiss Army knife in my carry on and have never had a problem. I use a line cutter these days instead of a knife and never get any problems with that.

Pocket knives are not allowed as carry on regardless of size. If you have carried it on a flight within the USA you have gotten lucky not to have it taken from you.

Lots of details.

+1 on the digital luggage scale!

Pack well in advance and list the contents of each bag. Allow a pound or 2 for moisture on the return trip. The list lets you quickly reconstitute your original packing effort. Unpack neoprene until the last minute. Roll sleeves and arms into the body for mimimal folds and creases.

Consider a mix of bags for optimum payload. A lightweight duffle can be great for fins, neoprene and BCs and other unbreakables. A more sunstantial case may be wanted for other items. Peoples gear may want to be intermixed between bags to balance. use all space filling fin pockets and other dead space.

It's unlikely your roll aboard will be weighed so push the 40 pound limit with heavy items like regulators and batteries. Keep your mask with you too.

You want to bring your own weight belt but take no lead. A belt with hard weight pockets can be a snap to populate one at the resort.

Pete

A knife with one handle with enterchangeable blades thats pretty cool. Think I would have skipped sunscreen and bug spray (more weight and SPACE)and just picked some up down there. I think you can get away with a small save a dive kit and a small first aid kit. At least an o-ring kit and something to stop blood from going all over. Also the keys are filled with dive shops so things you might need to make a repair are very nearby.

Kershaw Deluxe Blade Trader Knife at The Kershaw Store

This is the newer version of the knife set. As for the sunscreen, the resort we are going to is on it own island and I'm cheap. I can't even imagine how much they would charge for a bottle of sunscreen and bug spray. Of course if it puts me overweight I'd leave it home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom