First time speargun buyer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heidelberg74

Reaction score
Alright, I've finally decided to come over to the world of spearfishing. I'd like to start out with a reliable speargun to learn on before I upgrade to something a little better down the road - from what I've read the jbl sawed-off woody sounds like it might fit the mold. I live down in Texas and will probably spend most of my time freediving around rigs and occasionally in blue water (when we can find it). One thing I have been told is to go with cable vice synthetic line due to the proximity of the rigs.

As I'm a first time buyer, I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this or any other speargun that would be a good buy. There are some things I'm not quite clear on:

1. Should I upgrade to a different band from the standard bands that come on a jbl woody (9/16 x 20"), such as a (5/8 x 20"), or are those only necessary for bigger fish, say >40lbs?

2. Spinner rockpoint, vs. spinner tri-cut, vs. arrow-cut, vs slip tip? Any recommendations?

3. Does the shaft diameter play a large role in the performance of a speargun, or are they pretty standard? What about upgrading to a stainless steel shaft?

4. I plan on buying a float & line to attach to the speargun. Any recommendations on which one to pick up?

Thanks - and if you have any other recommendations for a first time buyer, even if it's to tell me to get a different gun altogether, please let me know.

heidelberg74:
Alright, I've finally decided to come over to the world of spearfishing. I'd like to start out with a reliable speargun to learn on before I upgrade to something a little better down the road - from what I've read the jbl sawed-off woody sounds like it might fit the mold. I live down in Texas and will probably spend most of my time freediving around rigs and occasionally in blue water (when we can find it). One thing I have been told is to go with cable vice synthetic line due to the proximity of the rigs.

As I'm a first time buyer, I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this or any other speargun that would be a good buy. There are some things I'm not quite clear on:

1. Should I upgrade to a different band from the standard bands that come on a jbl woody (9/16 x 20"), such as a (5/8 x 20"), or are those only necessary for bigger fish, say >40lbs?

Not to start, no. First, understand one thing - a 40lb fish can kill you. Easily. This is particularly true if you're diving where there is no (or effectively no) bottom. Rigs aren't the place to learn how to spearfish.

2. Spinner rockpoint, vs. spinner tri-cut, vs. arrow-cut, vs slip tip? Any recommendations?

Depends on a lot of things. The slip-tip's claim to fame is that you will trash fewer shafts if you shoot (poorly) a big fish. However, if you shoot a big fish poorly you will have other problems (see (1) above!)

If you're not going to be around wrecks/rocks, then a tricut will give better penetration. However, it will need to be dressed more often than a rockpoint. Choose your poison.

3. Does the shaft diameter play a large role in the performance of a speargun, or are they pretty standard? What about upgrading to a stainless steel shaft?

You've already got one. They are made out of spring stainless steel. Shaft diameter can matter, but for the gun you're buying, don't play there.

4. I plan on buying a float & line to attach to the speargun. Any recommendations on which one to pick up?

Thanks - and if you have any other recommendations for a first time buyer, even if it's to tell me to get a different gun altogether, please let me know.

Not on the float/line; I spear on scuba.

The JBL is good starter gun, but you'll outgrow it. A lot of freedivers like the Riffes; they're a beast to load, but when freediving you only do it once per dive, so its not as big of a deal.

Be aware that if you're going to rig with cable instead of line that you NEVER NEVER NEVER attach the gun to you, and you NEVER get "in the bight" (that is, let the cable wrap around any part of you.) Break that rule and you can easily die, even on scuba. This is even more important if you're freediving.

Check out the fourms at Spearboard

Dotto to what Genesis & Salty said. Spearboard is a good place to explore your entire range of options.
I'd like to stress a couple more times what Gen said about the rigs; they can be VERY dangerous places, especially if you whack a critter & just get it mad.
In that case, watching a JBL Sawed Off Woody disappear into the gloom won't be nearly as traumatic as watching a top shelf gun like the Riffe go bye bye.
Hook up with some experienced spearos if you can, you'll be way better off all the way around.

Ditto what Bob said. What gun is right for you will depend a lot on your level of ability and the local conditions. The best folks to talk to are other divers who spear in the places you plan on spearing. I would take any advice from Scubaboard members with a large grain of salt as they do not know the specifics of your situation.

That said I'll give you my potentially useless opinion. The sawed off woody magnum is a nice entry level gun (and is much better than the metal JBL guns) but is on the upper end of the size scale for a rock and reef gun and a little on the small side to be a serious blue water gun. It will consequently be capable of doing a lot but perhaps not be capable of doing any of it particularly well.

Most of my spearing is in freshwater and I find that a Sawed Off Woody is nearly ideal in excellent (20-30 ft) visibility conditions where the fish average 6-8 pounds and the largest potential target would be a 40 lb carp (great fun to shoot but not particulary dangerous as the water is normaly shallow and they can't realistically suck you to death.)

But in lower visibility, I switch to a smaller and more maneuverable gun and use one of my tried and true 36" Scubapro Panthers. (Bandito still makes them in 36 and 48 inch versions and they are a great gun for the money at around $250 to $300 new.) A Sawed Off Woody would not be my first choice for blue water, but may work well around a rig depending on what lives there, so it may or may not be a good choice for you. I'd talk with the locals before buying anything.

I started spearfishing off the rigs this year. My experience level isn't worth beans, but a couple of observations nonetheless. There is a lot of structure in those rigs for a ticked off fish that you've speared to wrap you up in. Karl's advice to stay out of the bight is understated. If you get wrapped up with a stainless cable while freediving, then it's time to pick the pallbearers. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Second, the snapper are mostly at or near the bottom, and the vis is often significantly less down there. What you are proposing to do is a helluva lot taller order than I think you suspect.

Go over to the forums on spearboard.com and ask some questions. There are lots of experienced spearos over there.

Gents,

A quick word of thanks to those of you who responded, particularly to Wrongkey for some 'local' insight and Aquamaster for some notes regarding speargun selection. With regards to safety, all of your advice makes sense and I plan on taking it onboard. I'm definitely in tune with your comments regarding the stainless steel line.

A quick poke, if I may, haha. It's funny how many of the good fish tend to hang out near the bottom, and in murky water... perhaps there is something to be said about 'earning' your catch. Maybe in a couple of years, when I've worked on my form, breathing, and spearfishing technique, I just might be able to get down to some of those guys. Until then, I'm in no hurry, and am quite content staying within relative "safety" close to the surface. As for scuba... well, I might as well strap on a MK-16 closed circuit rig and catch the fish by hand, better yet, why not grab a pole and hook and sit in a boat all day. Now that's a challenge. Hey guys, just a jab at my fellow diving brethren. I'm a navy diver by trade, by the way, so I've spent a little time under water. All you scuba junkies... feel free to fire back at me, haha. On a serious note, thanks again for your comments - they didn't fall on deaf ears. I wasn't trying to offend, just to tease. Just don't grab all the big ones while you're down there. Happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom