First Timer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to timing, Feb thru Mar is the worst if time for crazy currents and Norte storms. Mid April to June is prime time. This is based on my 25 years in Cozumel

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

@Dave Dillehay , when you say "Mid April to June is prime time", do you mean that mid April to June is the best time for diving? I don't know if you meant prime time for diving or prime time for nortes.

It's been a long time, more than a decade, but for about a dozen years I owned a fixed-week timeshare at the old Plaza Las Glorias hotel (now the Cozumel Palace), and went every year for at least 10 years during week 12 - the last week in March. I never once lost a dive day to a Norte, but did occasionally run into some strange current days. Sure, sometimes the current would make a U-turn in the middle of a reef, or pick up to carnival ride level, and it was on a March trip that I had my one and only experience with a downcurrent on Santa Rosa Wall, but it wasn't a big deal and the diving was still a lot of fun. And I liked the weather in late March - not too hot, pleasant at night, occasionally a rain storm, but it never lasted long. And I used to like to watch the NCAA March Madness games at the old Sports Page, which, alas, no longer exists (it's now an OXO store katy-corner from Wet Wendy's) and catch the occasional Spring Breaker who escaped from the madness of Cancun. So I wouldn't strike late March off your list.

Been checking into prices and it looks like I could fly into Cozumel direct for $662 or I can save $250 and fly into Cancun. How much does it usually cost to get from Cancun to Coz and how long does it take? Looks like a round trip flight would be $125 but the bus/ferry would take 3 hours. Also looks like a week long car rental on Coz would only be $20-50 for the whole week? Is that right? Seems really cheap...

How much should I expect to pay for diving on the island?

I guess the $125 is RT on Maya Air. Be advised their luggage limits are less than commercial jets. I don't recall offhand, maybe 40lbs?

From CUN, you can get ADO bus for about $10 and ferry to Coz for about $5-10. Then back. So $30-40 is your low end.

Taxi or private shuttle is a bit nicer but runs about $60 each way. Some pay more, some bargain it down. For a group of 4 or more, it's pretty cheap and comparable to bus. For a single traveler, it will be a lot more than the bus.

Your rental car cost will be much more than that. What they don't tell you about is the required insurance. Insurance alone will cost you $40/day in some places. Best deal I've found is with Isis at $35/day for a manal VW that includes insurance. You can get automatics and larger sedns for $50-60/day.

Diving cost varies quite a bit. The low end on multi-dive packages is about $65 per 2-tank trip and the high end around $110. Most are in the $80-90 range.

How much are gear rentals? BCD/regs/weights? I would probably be bringing just my mask/fins/snorkel/computer...

and AOW cert in a local quarry a month ago but only have 9 dives. Would that be a factor in location?

That all depends on how your ability is. 9 dives and an AoW card, you’re certainly not an advanced diver by most people’s standards.

re there any resorts/hotels/condos with a beach that also has good shore snorkeling?

No, there is not. South = beach and sand flats. Closer to town you have iron shore, and reef.

I would like to find a place that has easily accessible snorkeling for us. Preferably not in a location with strong currents.

Money bar, and Del Mar Pier are great.

I'm not really a big fan of AI's

I have experience with 3 AIs in CZ, they all sucked. Go non all inclusive – the restaurants on the island are AWESOME.I have stayed at Casa Del Mar 10 of the 15 trips, going back next week - love them.

Is a car rental a good idea to explore the island and try other snorkeling sites?

Car rental good. DO NOT SKIMP on insurance. Even if your credit card says they cover car rentals, it’s by reimbursement. That means you go to jail until you pay cash money. South of International pier, navigation is easy. North of there, you need to be VERY careful.

I do not recommend snorkeling / swimming on the east side of the island.

Been checking into prices and it looks like I could fly into Cozumel direct for $662 or I can save $250 and fly into Cancun. How much does it usually cost to get from Cancun to Coz and how long does it take? Looks like a round trip flight would be $125 but the bus/ferry would take 3 hours. Also looks like a week long car rental on Coz would only be $20-50 for the whole week? Is that right? Seems really cheap...

To get from Cancun to Cozumel usually takes between 2 and 3 hours, somewhat dependent on when you get to the ferry pier juxtaposed on the ferry schedule. I'd look really carefully into if you'll really need a car; taxis are plentiful and pretty cheap, and if you get into a crash or get stopped after drinking, you could be in deep... stuff no matter how much you have paid for insurance. If you are staying in or near town I'd recommend cabbing it whenever you want to go anywhere.

Driving intoxicated voids your insurance coverage. According to Margarita at Isis.

What are the DUI laws in Coz? Are the DUI tests similar to the USA. I do not drive drunk but have to admit that I've had a cerveza or maybe even two with dinner then drive home. Seems very rare you see anybody pulled over for anything. I've seen many "party" groups piled into jeeps that are obviously drunk or drinking that you'd expect to see more enforcement. Maybe the enforcement is IF you get in an accident or incident and you smell of alcohol - watch out you are in big time trouble.

Driving after drinking - even a little - overseas is asking for so much trouble, it's just not worth doing, period. Even at home (the US seems to have some of the most lax DUI laws in all of the so-called "developed" world) it's really not smart.

I see no reason whatsoever to rent a car for your stay on Cozumel (unless you have some odd circumstance eg staying in some location that's off the beaten path). For the OP here, no reason at all. If you want to take a day off from diving and go check out the far south end or east side of the island (worth a look, especially if this is your first time on the island) then either rent for that day only, or (probably better) just get a car with a driver for the day. Don't test a foreign country's DUI laws...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom