First timer, going dive Costa Rica and SCARED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wes2004

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm doing my dives here in the states and then I'm going to do my referral dives in Costa Rica. I'm VERY excited. Two of those dives are in the Catalina Islands...and I've heard about bull shark sightings!

I'm VERY VERY SCARED of sharks, I just keep thinking they are going to attack me while in Costa Rica. Please, honestly tell me in your own words how these terrifying beasts work and if they will bother me...I know the visibility isn't THAT great...they may mistake me for a fish!!!

This is off subject, but what were some other things you did while in Costa Rica. This is what I'm doing, have any comments.

2 day Pacuare River...HOW rough is this BABY!!
Arenal Volcano with Tabacon and Arenal Canopy Tour
Rio Celeste Tour
Monteverde Canyoing, Sky Walk & Sky Trek
Catalina Islands!!

Hi Wes, welcome to SB!
I have done shark dives in the past, as I'm sure most of this board has.
I still have my original arms and legs and I've never been in a group that has lost an appendage.
I wouldn't try to ride one or put your head in his mouth (like a lion tamer), no jerky quick movements, don't act like a seal and don't tell shark jokes; they hate those.
Seriously, relax and enjoy the dive.

Most shark species are petrified of you. They take off if you get too close.

I was vaguely apprehensive at first but quickly overcame it after a few dives with sharks. And, my wife and I had a hairly experience with a Galapagos shark in July 01 (trip report posted in Travel/SouthAmerica, July or Aug 01). But, even then we both got back on the horse.

Welcome to the board Wes.

Just remember that sharks are hardwire programmed by nature. You don't look like, smell like, sound like or have the electrical impulses of anything on their natural menu, to them you are the unknown and should be avoided. There are very few shark attacks on divers and the vast majority that do happen are a direct result of something that the diver did like spear fishing (lots of blood floating around in the water....can you say chumming for sharks). Even these appear to be mistakes by the shark, one bite...you taste nasty and he leaves you alone. All of the sharks I have seen have taken one look at me and turned away. It's rare to get a good look at one most places. Don't worry about them, you are in a lot more danger driving to the airport than getting shark attacked.

I dove the Catalina Iland last May in CR and the whole group swam with the sharks and manta's as big as a car. the sharks we saw where mostly white tails about 5 or 6ft long. I dont beleive we saw any bullheads but trust me they dont like gringo meat we have to much junk food in us :). I hope you enjoy CR there is so much to do and the people are friendly for sure. most people go on trips to Coz, HI ilands etc but CR offeres a trip back in time that nobody else has. Enjoy Wes

I was in Costa Rica before I was a diver. Went to Arenal volcano: neat to see an active one. Tabacon hot springs were great. Plan on getting very relaxed. Hope you don't have to drive after. I also enjoyed Manuel Antonio National Park. What a great rain forest! If I go back, I'll definately dive there. Disfrute de su aventura con los ticos. Pura vida!

TCooperWFI:
Hi Wes, welcome to SB!
I have done shark dives in the past, as I'm sure most of this board has.
I still have my original arms and legs and I've never been in a group that has lost an appendage.
I wouldn't try to ride one or put your head in his mouth (like a lion tamer), no jerky quick movements, don't act like a seal and don't tell shark jokes; they hate those.
Seriously, relax and enjoy the dive.

Thanks, I guess it's normal to be a little nervous! I just needed to hear I woudl be okay, it's rare to find people in Louisiana who knows anything about diving....glad I found this board.

Thanks

Paco:
I was in Costa Rica before I was a diver. Went to Arenal volcano: neat to see an active one. Tabacon hot springs were great. Plan on getting very relaxed. Hope you don't have to drive after. I also enjoyed Manuel Antonio National Park. What a great rain forest! If I go back, I'll definately dive there. Disfrute de su aventura con los ticos. Pura vida!

I cannot wait for the Arenal Volcano...where did you stay? I'm staying at Arenal Observatory Lodge...it's REALLY close. I cannot wait for Tabacon, I'm sure they will relax me. I'm chose to go to Tamarindo insead of Manuel Antonio because of the Catalina Islands...I heard MA is beautiful!

GotAir:
I dove the Catalina Iland last May in CR and the whole group swam with the sharks and manta's as big as a car. the sharks we saw where mostly white tails about 5 or 6ft long. I dont beleive we saw any bullheads but trust me they dont like gringo meat we have to much junk food in us :). I hope you enjoy CR there is so much to do and the people are friendly for sure. most people go on trips to Coz, HI ilands etc but CR offeres a trip back in time that nobody else has. Enjoy Wes

Hello! I'm glad you enjoyed the diving. I'm going in June, I hope I still see the mantas...I like those! I agree on the most people go to Cox, HI islands...but YES Costa Rica offers a WAY different experience because the country is so diverse! I cannot wait to go!

I'll be on the news tomorrow about my trip to Costa Rica and how I raised money for it. I started my very own candy sale fundraiser...issued carriers to all my friends...next thing I knew I had all the money to go.

Wes2004:
Hello,

I'm doing my dives here in the states and then I'm going to do my referral dives in Costa Rica. I'm VERY excited. Two of those dives are in the Catalina Islands...and I've heard about bull shark sightings!

I'm VERY VERY SCARED of sharks, I just keep thinking they are going to attack me while in Costa Rica. Please, honestly tell me in your own words how these terrifying beasts work and if they will bother me...I know the visibility isn't THAT great...they may mistake me for a fish!!!

This is off subject, but what were some other things you did while in Costa Rica. This is what I'm doing, have any comments.

2 day Pacuare River...HOW rough is this BABY!!
Arenal Volcano with Tabacon and Arenal Canopy Tour
Rio Celeste Tour
Monteverde Canyoing, Sky Walk & Sky Trek
Catalina Islands!!

Maybe a little more information would help....

The last fatal shark attack in Costa Rica was in 1965. There have only ever been 4 (count 'em) 4 recorded shark attacks along the coast of Costa Rica (of which only 2 were fatal) and only one of the vicitms was scuba diving.

Put another way, your chances of being bitten by your dive-buddy are probably much higher......

The fact is, sharks hardly ever bother with divers. Globally, even given all the shark-feeding and millions upon millions of dives being made, only an average of like 4 divers have incidents with sharks on an annual basis and most of those are exploratory bites (which may still cause you to ahve a heart-attack if it's a big shark :wink: ) and most victims--over 80%--survived.

In other words, relax, and if you *do* see a shark enjoy the moment.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom