First timer, going in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt' Don's house reef is a nice dive. It's also a great night dive. You can count on some tarpon companionship on the night dives there.

We always stay next door to Capt' Dons at Coral Paradise. We've found the food and service at Capt Dons to be marginal. Our two favorite restaurants are Bistro de Paris and Mona Lisa. Last trip in February we also ate at Wills and Four Seasons. They were both very good. There is a new Italian place, Sonia Home...I wouldn't waste your time or money.

We will be right behind you the first week in August...

It is certainly true that there are some lousy rooms at Capt Don's. Most of them are in the older oceanfront rooms behind the pool. The current best rooms are the Jr Suites near the dive shop, they are the newest as well--we are in one in June. About half of the place is 2br/2ba bungalows and mostly they are nice, but a few that are not nice--we swapped units last time there over around the duck pond--one was great, the other run down for sure...........Cliff just north is a very nice shallow dive as the "wall" is from 30-60 ft. We usually dive Cliff daily and have for many years and about 20 trips. There is a graphic on habitatbonaire.com site of the resort layout, We like the 1 br bungalows near the dive shop in particular--all the bungalows have full kitchens. There is a grocery store just north with a restaurant next door--it was oriental but I heard it has changed. There is a great sandwich shop called Between2Buns just south in front of Sand Dollar, ice cream is also in that small strip center. btw, beds at the good Captains are hard, medium, soft--and a few have springs sticking out--a reference to the 2br bungalow we did NOT like!
I have stayed several places on Bonaire and prefer the dive out front of Habitat along with the utter ease of shore diving there--some air tanks are now filled down by the lockers on the dive deck--nitrox is upstairs or in the shack on the boat dock. There is a small wreck at about 130 right out front. Have fun!

Thanks, Jim. I didn't decide early enough to get to choose where I'm staying. Looks like I will be in a 3BR condo with 4 other women. I doubt I'll be using any of the regular cylinders that are available, as I will have to rent the smaller cylinders (air & O2) for the rebreather & bail-out bottle(s). I wll take a little OC equipment, just incase I have a malfunction with the rebreather. I will probably be diving most of my dives 30 ft or lower, as the rebreather doesn't do as well with shallower depths (uses a lot of O2 to maintain PO2 set point that is programmed in it),... but then I will be diving the optimal mix for the dives I'm doing when deep, keeping deco to a minimum. I am looking forward to observing the critters without disturbing them with bubbles.

I will be down in Bonaire the same time as your group (last week of July and first week on August) and have rented a house just north of you guys. This will be my 7th trip to Bonaire. What makes this my preferred location is the diving freedom - no schedules, no limits on tanks, ability to self lead and "discover" the place on your own terms. Being part of a 37 member group might negate some of these things that make the place so special. Since you do not have to lead the group, my suggestion would be to try to peel off from the group when you are able and explore on your own or with a buddy. You could have someone in your group drop you off at the south end of Bari or at cliff and make a leisurely one way dive back to Don's. If you are into photography, your setup with the rebreather should allow you great opportunities in terms of time and not scaring the fish. I've done some deep dives on Bonaire and other than the Windjammer (which I have not yet dove) I cannot say that I've seen much below 130 feet that justifies going that deep - perhaps with the rebreather you will be able to prove my hunch wrong. I'd love to hear your experience diving the rebreather for a week there.

I will be down in Bonaire the same time as your group (last week of July and first week on August) and have rented a house just north of you guys. This will be my 7th trip to Bonaire. What makes this my preferred location is the diving freedom - no schedules, no limits on tanks, ability to self lead and "discover" the place on your own terms. Being part of a 37 member group might negate some of these things that make the place so special. Since you do not have to lead the group, my suggestion would be to try to peel off from the group when you are able and explore on your own or with a buddy. You could have someone in your group drop you off at the south end of Bari or at cliff and make a leisurely one way dive back to Don's. If you are into photography, your setup with the rebreather should allow you great opportunities in terms of time and not scaring the fish. I've done some deep dives on Bonaire and other than the Windjammer (which I have not yet dove) I cannot say that I've seen much below 130 feet that justifies going that deep - perhaps with the rebreather you will be able to prove my hunch wrong. I'd love to hear your experience diving the rebreather for a week there.

Perhaps we'll run into each other below or topside. I would love to share with you how things go. I won't be able to break away from the group too much, because I've been asked to be the group leader's buddy (he is diving a RB also) & I know he'll want to keep an eye on me (even though he has signed me off on OW RB, he still worries about me when I'm diving it.:blinking: lol). Solo diving on a RB isn't usually recommended, since there is more that can go wrong with the units, than with OC (& I'm a solo instructor). I might take my small camera, but unfortunately, I don't have the patience to do much photography, plus still being new to the unit, the task loading may be a bit too much. The group leader is an phenomenal videographer & video tapes all his clients, so I usually don't take a camera & just enjoy the dives.

I suggest you try the Kite City food truck. We had their barracuda wraps one day and then a tuna steak the next. Probably two of the best meals I've had on the island. Friendly people too.

Random thoughts.

1.) At restaurants, soda refills may not be free. I order water. Get a bunch of soda at the market, and stock your fridge. Use empty containers to put water in for face rinsing and rehydration, and put in back of your truck.

2.) When parking to dive, windows down, doors unlocked, and leave nothing you're not willing to 'donate' in the truck. Plan so everything except extra tanks enters & exits in the water with you. This isn't hard to do. Lots of poor people know you're gone & the truck unguarded for an hour or so.

3.) When you look at a map, without getting into the park, what I think of as the mainstream dive sites start to the north with Karpata, and a bit south of that, Tolo. These occur after the road becomes one way, committing you to a long round trip home. So these dives are good to do together. Karpata is pretty lush reef.

4.) Northern Bonaire is quite hilly, even mountainous, and very bushy, with a lot of thorny plants. Parking for dive sites seems quite sheltered at times. Southern Bonaire is very flat and you can see a long ways up & down the shore.

5.) 1,000 Steps is nice for entry/exit and scenic for photographs, but hauling gear up & down the 60 something steps can make you feel the burn. It made me appreciate shedding some lead from when I was over-weighted.

6.) Oil Slick Leap involves a maybe 6'+ giant stride of a rocky cliff if you wish; you can enter by the exit ladder. Kind of a signature island thrill. Nice dive site.

7.) Down south, I found Sweet Dreams to be quite lush. I believe Red Beryl is also good, and people often speak well of Margate Bay.

8.) If you get down near Atlantis (I believe it is) where the kite boarders do their thing, it's neat to watch. People windsurf in little sail boats on the other side of the island, at Jibe City.

9.) Animals I see a lot of; French Grunt, trumpet fish, stoplight parrotfish, French & Queen angelfish, rock beauties, Spanish hogfish, spotted moray eels, blue tang, blue chromis, graysbys, conies, yellow-striped goat fish, yellow snapper, black margate, flounder, scorpion fish, some blue-striped grunts and other grunts/snappers, some porgies, occasional midnight parrotfish, occasional tarpon, goldentail moray eels, conch, flamingo tongues & anemones. I see a few slipper lobster, Caribbean spiny lobster, green morays, barracuda, tiger grouper, rainbow parrotfish, octopi, small reef squid, once in awhile an eagle ray (in the distance, not letting me close) and once I think a southern (or similar) stingray.

Things I've seen very rarely: 2 seahorses were pointed out to me, and 1 frogfish, by other people. 2 ocean triggerfish swam by at the Cliff site. That one (?) southern stingray. Couple of reef crabs. Buddy found a small starfish on a west coast dive; together we found a big one on an east coast dive, Cai, where I also saw a queen triggerfish. At the surface on one trip, a buddy pointed out what looked like a flea circus in the distance and said they were dophins. I have not seen a manta, but seems like in the past couple of years people have seen more there.

Things I haven't seen in Bonaire over 7 trips and well over 100 dives there: sharks, porkfish, any big grouper except tiger grouper, grey angelfish, common hog fish.

10.) I like to drag out dive time by spending time at the end of the time messing around over rubble in the shallows. Be mindful that scorpion fish hang out here, day and night.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom