First timer, going in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jim. I didn't decide early enough to get to choose where I'm staying. Looks like I will be in a 3BR condo with 4 other women. I doubt I'll be using any of the regular cylinders that are available, as I will have to rent the smaller cylinders (air & O2) for the rebreather & bail-out bottle(s). I wll take a little OC equipment, just incase I have a malfunction with the rebreather. I will probably be diving most of my dives 30 ft or lower, as the rebreather doesn't do as well with shallower depths (uses a lot of O2 to maintain PO2 set point that is programmed in it),... but then I will be diving the optimal mix for the dives I'm doing when deep, keeping deco to a minimum. I am looking forward to observing the critters without disturbing them with bubbles.

TC,

The only 3br are in the Villas oceanfront and next to the Jr Suites--I haven't heard much about their current condition but you might find some info on tripadvisor. Habitat in general is not as convenient for shore diving outside the resort as some other places with driveup or drivethru tank pickup, but there are a couple of parking spaces close to RecTec and the Habitat dive op reserved for tank pickup. Have a great trip! Please post about using the rebreather on Bonaire when you return. I hope you get to see one of the Mantas that have been hanging out for the past few years, but they are normally seen shallow. We were at about 45-50ft when one cruised by and it probably would have come closer if 2 folks had chosen not to chase it!

Boat diving is readily available there---we did 11 of ~18 total dives back when we were there last summer.....Be careful of the(entry) @ Hilma Hooker as a shoredive--one of our group(of 30) had to have foot surgery upon getting back to the States after an exit fall--ie fairly 'rocky' entry there...

EDIT:.........but remember, we're a pretty 'old' group(probably average 55 YO--well into presbyopia), maybe that was the reason for the number of boat dives AND the injury.....:)

Boat diving is readily available there
In my opinion; you're wasting your time boat diving in Bonaire. You'll see the same things on Klein as on the main island, and you'll be able to do much more diving on your own. As well, you won't have limits like time on the boat. Bonaire is known for it's unlimited and awesome shore dive. You're missing the point by diving off a boat like any other place in the world.

The max depth on the Hooker is 100'. With that rebreather, I'd strongly encourage you to think about doing the Hooker as a shore dive. The reefs around there are great, everyone is so focused on the wreck, they forget about the reef.

IMO....average @ best.....but to some people, average is good.........:)

IMO....average @ best.....but to some people, average is good.........:)
Yeah, we get it. You think everything about Bonaire is average at best. You're welcome to never go again.

Or you can just start your own thread: "I hate Bonaire".

Oh, in case no one else mentioned it, all rental trucks tend to be stick shift, unless you arrange an automatic. In my experience, that adds about $150 for the week rental cost, and needs to be arranged in advance. I didn't stay at Captain Don's, but if you need an automatic, it's something to think about.

Richard.

P.S.: Night diving in Bonaire is sweet, but tarpon will 'buzz you' real close. I'm glad I was warned; a 4 feet fish streaking by at arm's length in the dark can be a tad anxiety provoking.

Oh, in case no one else mentioned it, all rental trucks tend to be stick shift, unless you arrange an automatic. In my experience, that adds about $150 for the week rental cost, and needs to be arranged in advance. I didn't stay at Captain Don's, but if you need an automatic, it's something to think about.

Richard.

Not a problem for me. I was originally taught to drive a manual. I may pitch & kill the engine a few times getting used to the clutch:D (Been about 15 yrs since I drove a stick)

P.S.: Night diving in Bonaire is sweet, but tarpon will 'buzz you' real close. I'm glad I was warned; a 4 feet fish streaking by at arm's length in the dark can be a tad anxiety provoking.
Thanks for the "Head's up". Doesn't typically bother me to have "company",... plus I Like the dark (I cave dive, remember?)

Not a problem for me. I was originally taught to drive a manual. I may pitch & kill the engine a few times getting used to the clutch:D (Been about 15 yrs since I drove a stick)
Don't worry. Once you drive it, you'll realize you aren't the first to treat them like this. :wink:

This is the reason I like the HiLux. I have yet to see an Afghan ruin that transmission. They drive worse than just about anyone on this planet. Burning out the clutch, on the other hand, is a regular occurance.

If you like ribs, the Rib Factory on the water front is good, $20ish for a full rack of ribs, we went twice 2 weeks ago. I was surprized to see El Fagon Latino listed above, it's a small local place that most would pass by. It is also very good although a little more on island time so don't go in a hurry...still open as of 2 weeks ago. If you are in no hurry and like local places, do give it a try. It's easy to find, just go to the Vander Tweel Supermarket, enter the traffic circle, take the first exit and it's about 1 block on the right. Open air blue building.
Another easy walk from CDs is Eddies in front of Sand Dollar about 1-2 blocks away, Momma Sonya's chicken is really good and get Eddies home made honey mustard dressing.

Perhaps we'll run into each other below or topside. I would love to share with you how things go. I won't be able to break away from the group too much, because I've been asked to be the group leader's buddy (he is diving a RB also) & I know he'll want to keep an eye on me (even though he has signed me off on OW RB, he still worries about me when I'm diving it.:blinking: lol). Solo diving on a RB isn't usually recommended, since there is more that can go wrong with the units, than with OC (& I'm a solo instructor). I might take my small camera, but unfortunately, I don't have the patience to do much photography, plus still being new to the unit, the task loading may be a bit too much. The group leader is an phenomenal videographer & video tapes all his clients, so I usually don't take a camera & just enjoy the dives.

We may well run into one another. If I see a lady with a rebreather I will come and introduce myself - I doubt there will be more than one on Bonaire that week. We are staying about 200 yards north of Captain Don's. I will probably come down and start a few early morning dives from their dock. My wife likes those early morning dives and we can make a leisurely one-way swim up to our house. I hope you guys aren't too preoccupied with watching over the group to enjoy yourselves. That's a lot of divers to keep an eye on. I'm sure you've heard the usual advice about not keeping valuables in the truck while diving and to lock up your valuables in the room while you are out. If you heed that standard advice, I think things will go smoothly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom