First timer, want to try Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubby-doo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We been to Caymans, and St Croix for diving. Now we are ready to try Bonaire. Need some newbie advice. Buddy dive resort good ? Cayman was expensive...St Croix was cheap, but still in the US, so no Cuban stogies there. What are some recommednde dive ops ini Bonaire ? If we goto Buddy, is that a good place to stay and dive ?
We like secluded beaches for couples, privacy and quiet is number one concern, not crowds or noisy people. Is the shore diving really as great as al the rave ?
We are wanting to visit in June or July, is that ok, or waaaay tooo hot ?
please point us to any good trip reports to read.

We been to Caymans, and St Croix for diving. Now we are ready to try Bonaire. Need some newbie advice. Buddy dive resort good ? Cayman was expensive...St Croix was cheap, but still in the US, so no Cuban stogies there. What are some recommednde dive ops ini Bonaire ? If we goto Buddy, is that a good place to stay and dive ?
We like secluded beaches for couples, privacy and quiet is number one concern, not crowds or noisy people. Is the shore diving really as great as al the rave ?

Buddy Dive is well set up for both boat and shore diving. Their "drive through" tank service really is just that. It is a "large" resort by Bonaire standards and there are always divers coming and going but it has never felt "noisy".

The dive shops on Bonaire are all great and most folks choose one based on where they are staying and then usually remain loyal customers.

Finding a secluded beach might be a problem as Bonaire is not a "beach" island. There are several small bits of sand and coral rubble but no long stretches for long walks. That said there are many places where you can be alone as a couple to sit and look at the water -- just don't expect soft sand!

June and July are hot but the winds keep you cool and the water temp is around 80 to 81 degrees.

Be sure to take hard soled booties for shore diving and pick up a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter Check out Bonaire Talk at Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! for lots of great trip reports and info on lodging, dining, diving, travel, etc.

And yes, the shore diving is great -- you can keep your own schedule, choose your own sites and see lots and lots of fish! If you like macro it is the place to go!

Buddy Dive is well set up for both boat and shore diving. Their "drive through" tank service really is just that. It is a "large" resort by Bonaire standards and there are always divers coming and going but it has never felt "noisy".

The dive shops on Bonaire are all great and most folks choose one based on where they are staying and then usually remain loyal customers.

Finding a secluded beach might be a problem as Bonaire is not a "beach" island. There are several small bits of sand and coral rubble but no long stretches for long walks. That said there are many places where you can be alone as a couple to sit and look at the water -- just don't expect soft sand!

June and July are hot but the winds keep you cool and the water temp is around 80 to 81 degrees.

Be sure to take hard soled booties for shore diving and pick up a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter at Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter Check out Bonaire Talk at Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! for lots of great trip reports and info on lodging, dining, diving, travel, etc.

And yes, the shore diving is great -- you can keep your own schedule, choose your own sites and see lots and lots of fish! If you like macro it is the place to go!

I agree with everything diva said but beware, once you go you'll be hooked on the island! :D

The "beach" at Buddy's sits on ironshore so there's no good access to the water. Most of the north side is similar. Exceptions are Eden Beach or Harbour Village. Eden Beach has a beach bar also, but it's usually pretty quiet. And some trees as I recall. Buddy's bar can get loud but it's not especially close to the "beach". I've not been to Harbour Village but I'd guess it's pretty quiet. Pricier than just about anywhere else also.

South of town the Divi has a small beach as does the Plaza Resort farther south. Plaza's beach has a bar, volleyball and not much shade so most likely not what you're looking for. Harbour Village is probably your best option for quiet but the diving isn't the best offshore there.

Cubans are at Chat n' Browse in the little strip mall on the main road north of town.

Scubby,

You can get cubans here on Bonaire....at Chat n' Browse Internet Cafe and Gift Shop.

If you want quiet, I highly recommend one of the 2 following resorts...Sand Dollar or Eden Beach Resort. The dive ops are Bonaire Dive and Adventure and Wannadive, respectively.

Hubby and I are kids grown and like you enjoy quiet places with beaches for couples. (BTW, our FAVORITE non-dive vacation is the Renaissance Aruba, where they have their own private island with couples only side!)

Be careful of July...it tends to be "busy" on island. A lot of Euorpeans, especially Dutch take a long holiday in July. Our "hottest months" out of the year are actually Sept and October, due to the fact that at times we have little to no wind. June and July are actually exceptional here.

Oh and yes....the diving is amazing...NOAA just said so in a recent report (last month)..Bonaire has the most pristine reefs in the caribbean and has the most different type of species of fish in alll of the Caribbean.

Liz

I agree with everything diva said but beware, once you go you'll be hooked on the island! :D

As Bob "flatwood" says you can be hooked..I have a group going MAy 4th/11th..at Buddy dive . Scubby-Doo -PM me if interested. Bob knows me and he had a great time on my last trip there.

diving on bonaire really sucks - particularly in July. that's why i always go there then. you should go to Canada. they sell cuban cigars there.

ihave always found it less crowded in july. ymmv.

:confused:

Someone forwarded me a web cam shot from eden beach today. looked like it was full of people from a cruise ship. if pod people are going to eden beach then it might not be what the original poster had in mind.

OP -- do a search here and on Bonaire talk. lots of info about lots of small quiet resorts.

Back
Top Bottom