First trip to bonaire need plenty of advise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about places to stay since there are 4 of us affordibility must be maintained if you know what i mean

Just to correct a misconception: tanks ARE being stolen. As much as 150 to 200 tanks "dissappear" annually, industry wide. Believe it or not, they are not only being stolen, but also simply being discarded by divers on occasion. Therefore some diveshops will restrict the amount of tanks guests are allowed to take per 'exchange'.
FYI

Just to correct a misconception: tanks ARE being stolen. As much as 150 to 200 tanks "dissappear" annually, industry wide. Believe it or not, they are not only being stolen, but also simply being discarded by divers on occasion. Therefore some diveshops will restrict the amount of tanks guests are allowed to take per 'exchange'.
FYI

Bart you are f&^&& kidding me:shocked2::shakehead::no:, How sad dude. I am totally shocked, see you in 2011, tell the Gang i said hi, keith. Is Jeffrey staying out of trouble:idk:

Believe it or not, they are not only being stolen, but also simply being discarded by divers on occasion.
FYI
Bart..Not to question your veracity, but I really have a very hard time believing that fellow divers would do that! If it's true, absolutely disgusting.:confused:

It is one of those deals that are being kept silent. The dive shops have occasional tank swaps. I also just got twelve, that is right twelve! tanks back from a guy who bought a home in Sabadeco and found them there, left by the former owner. He just didn't bother to bring them back, some already out of hydro. Don't misunderstand please, the vast majority of missing tanks are stolen, and sold as scrap metal. Last year a whole container destined for curacao was intercepted by the police, another dive shop manager has seen his tanks (we all mark our tanks obviously) on a promo video from a shop in Margarita island...... As diveshops we just kinda accept and take the loss. The alternative would destroy Bonaire's great diving freedom system. And the tank swap is obviously another reason to grab a few beers with collegues. hé hé hé
Keith:
Jeffrey out of trouble? You know the answer to that HA!!! See ya in 2011

One thing is sure, the minute I can't even leave tanks in the back of my truck while I dive is the minute I stop going to Bonaire!!

When I was there, I was told that the stolen tanks get ferried to Venezuela and sold as aluminum scrap. What a waste.

In two trips, I've left basically nothing but tanks in the car/truck and had no problems. Our room was broken into, though.

Depending on the dive shop, they'll let you keep 2 or 3 tanks per person out overnight.

Back
Top Bottom