First Trip to Cozumel - got lots of ??s..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FriscoScuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just joined the forum, great info. I am going to Cozumel at the end of Feb for the first time and have a few questions...thanks in advance for the help!!:D

1. I got certified 6 months ago in Hawaii, this is my first time diving since then. Any dive sites I should be sure to get that would be best for a beginner? ANy that I should avoid?

2. Do you like the Plaza Las Glorias?

3. Has anyone taken a day trip to Tulum or Chitchen Itza? Is it a miserable trip or well worth the 12 hours (how long does it take to get there??).

4. My travel agent is setting up the diving through Dive Paradise. Any good words about them??

The food recommendations on this site are awesome, can't wait to try the restaurants you all posted. Thanks! :wink:

Hi Frisco...welcome to the board.

we dove Cozumel in May 2001 & like you I was a newly certified diver. it was AWESOME! I can't say that I had a favorite dive site, they were all great in their own way. we dove Yucab Reef, San Francisco Reef, Tormentos, Columbia, Santa Rosa, & Delilah. since we were there in the off season, we had very few people on board the boat at the beginning of the week. you might want to read Zagnut's trip report to Cozumel, it's great & will give you a good idea of what you're in for.

have a great trip!
Kim

Plaza Las Glorias...
Do not... repeat, do not do a giant stride into the pool next to the bar after 7 Tequila slammers.
It ain't near as deep as it looks!
Rick

Can't comment alot on specific sites on Coz, but an word or two about Chitchen Itza.

I did the day trip from Cancun, and it was a long bus ride early in the morning. We saw the site for a few hours, and also made a quick stop at a cenote for a swim. Then a nice dinner, and a long bus ride back.

I have an interest in such historical and archaelogical sites, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I left amazed at the organization and effort involved in construction of such an amazing site. We had an excellent tour guide, and he added greatly to the experience.

My concern is that doing this by ferry and bus from Cozumel would be a real ordeal. My trip was quite long (about 17 hours in total) from Cancun, which is quite a bit closer. I'd strongly urge finding a tour that flies most of the way. Just be cautious when mixing flying and diving.

Do not do the trip to Chicken Pizza unless you hate Cozumel and further hate diving. Under the best of situations it's tough. Mid week go over to Playa del Carmen and rent a car. Drive right down to Tulum and work your way back. Either cenotes or beaches or tourist traps. Dinner in PDC and the ferry back. One "great day ".

Chicken Pizza is best seen in the morning befor the "tourists" , heat and bugs when you have lots of time to kill. Like at least a couple of days to make it fun and see the other sites. ( Merida, Uxmal and Coba)

Dive Paradise will take care of you. You take care of Paradise.

adios don O

I'm with donooo 100%. If you do go to any of the ruins.. ( there are some right in Cozumel) bring TONS yes TONS of bug spray. We were bitten alive last time I was there. I would never go back to the ruins.
But, I will always go back to Cozumel. Plaza Las Glorias and Dive Paradise here we come in 28 more days! Woo hoo!
{we have the fast boats reserved for our group the whole week}
:gorgeous:

if the url doesn't work by clicking on it then just cut and paste it onto the address bar and it will work

Friscoscuba:
What did you finally decide?

Back
Top Bottom