Where to see the most sea turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, would that site also be accessible for snorkelers? My wife can snorkel, but can't dive for health reasons -- she loves seeing turtles while snorkeling.
It is a boat dive only, as far as I know, and the surface is often choppy so maybe not so good for snorkelers.

Try Bunaken Marine Park in Indonesia. Colourful Wall diving with plenty of turtles, on some dives : over 20
That's kind of far for a 4 day trip from the US...

Anyway, if you wanna see lots of turtles, no need to go to Koh Tao even if it means turtle island in Thai ... very few there

Hello! My husband and I are planning a last minute dive trip November 22 to 26. We live in NC, USA and are trying to find the best trip for that short amount of time. Any suggestions or considerations would be appreciated. We were looking at Huracan or Itza Resort in Belize, maybe back to Cozumel. Sea turtles are my absolute favorite so any guidance on where there are a higher concentration would be awesome. Thank you!
I went to Belize on the Aggressor IV about a year and a half ago. Most of the dives were off Lighthouse Reef. I saw a few green and loggerhead turtles, not a lot. The diving there was quite good Caribbean diving.
Photos at the end of the thread

According to the REEF.org data based, Saba and Brazil are the most likely places to see Green Turtles; Hawksbills are Little Cayman and Cozumel; and Loggerheads/Leatherbacks not likely be seen anywhere except maybe the Florida south and west coasts.

Turtle season in SE Florida is from around April through September, with peak in early summer. We see Loggerheads, Green, and Hawksbill turtles. During mating, we see many, many Loggerheads. In 14 years, 1300 dives in Boynton Beach, Palm Beach, and Jupiter, I have still not seen a Leatherback, but they are occasionally seen.

I have seen a single Kemp's Ridley Turtle at Crossover Barge in Palm Beach
1698686839510.png

The most turtles I've ever seen were in Troy Spring in early March. Easily over a thousand of them. Technically, they're not "sea" turtles, but the spawning aggregation is quite phenomenal to see.

At Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, I see hawksbills pretty often. It used to be about every other dive. As of late, about every fourth dive. The turtles are often pretty used to divers and will ignore them. In the spring, you have a good chance of seeing loggerhead turtles. You can contact reef divers for the peak time. I have seen green turtles but not often. They tend to take off when they see divers.

Back
Top Bottom