First Trip to Hawaii-Kona or Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of a quick trip to hawaii for a couple of days and need the board's expert advice. My goal is to do 4 dives per day and work on my UW Photo skills. I'd like to mix it up between boat and shore because I don't think any operators offer 4 tank boat dives. I know that Kona has Manta Night dive which would be pretty cool, but I'm also interested in seeing eagle rays, the small stuff, and hopefully a frog fish or two. What do people think? Please also let me know which dive operator you recommend. Thank you.

Matt

I have only been to Kona for diving. I loved Kona Diving Company. They do 2 tank morning dives, night reef dives, the manta dive, 3 tank long range days, and they rent tanks for shore diving. The allow you to dive your profile, which is very nice. The seem to have the magic touch for finding the critters. I did 16 dives with them in December and it was the best. Kerry and her crew go out of their way to make your diving fun, safe, and to find the critters you are looking for. They are very camera freindly. The boat is very nice. I just can't say enough good things about them.

Seasport Divers on Kauai does two 2-tank trips every day: Scuba Diving But trips to Ni'ihau won't start again till spring - the crossing is too rough in winter.

If you want to do more shorediving, the choice is Kona. Especially if you're going soon as Kauai's north shore is undiveable till spring - so Tunnels is out. Plus there's almost double the shore dives off the Big Island. Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

I'd say you are faced with a problem many people would love to have! Do I have the steak and shrimp? Or go with the Lobster and scallops??? You'll love it either way and have an incredible dive experience. Big Island diving is very different from diving on Kauai for sure. My background is from Kauai diving for about 16 years (12 as resident). Shore diving would likely be limited to about 3 different spots for you here. Koloa landing is a photographers dream spot and it's easy to do several dives there. Relatively easy access and shallow waters that dont exceed 45ft. You can count on Dragon Morays year round!! Turtles are abundant along with numerous eels. Inverts such as banded coral shrimp and octos are common as well. I also cant remember the last time there wasnt at least one frogfish there!

Kauai is sea turtle paradise and also a wonderful spot to dive lava tubes. There are about 20 different sites commonly dove from the Poipu area (south shore).

Tunnels as mentioned is not usually open until April on a somewhat regular basis. Jeanette Thompson is the best guide hands down for that trip. She is one of the owners of Fathom Five divers.

Should you lean towards Kauai feel free to use me as a resource. You'll find numerous wonderful contacts/dive pros on here that will be very happy to help you regardless of your choice.

Best wishes with planning your visit

Back
Top Bottom