First trip, Where to dive? (PCB and Destin) 6-21-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imbodie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're taking our first diving road trip next week to the Destin, PCB area. Planning on shore dives only, have NO experience with salt water at all.
What I need to know is...
where can I shore dive? (have seen a lot of posts about the Jetties)
Anything I need to be careful of? jellyfish, sharks, crazy tourists (no wait, thats me)
Good places to camp? (yeah we're on the cheap)

Will be diving with a 14 y.o so we need to stay on the shallow side of 50' on our dives.
Anything anyone can share will be GREATLY appreciated. Anyone diving in that area from 6-21 through 6-24 that wants to share some pointers or needs a dive buddy we will have an odd number in our group.
Can email me at twaldo at yahoo.com the email will also hit my BlackBerry while we are on the trip, so same as a phone number.

THANKS TONS in ADVANCE
-Tim

Well... you really only have two options; Destin Jetties, or St. Andrews Jetties(PCB). The Destin Jetties will max out at around 50', visibility is more consistant, and typically better. St. Andrews Jetties can get you slightly deeper, there is more structure, and a wider variety of life including lots of sponge and even some coral here and there. You'll want to dive either at high slack tide for best possible conditions.

Camping? I like Florida State Parks, most offer some sort of camping, but you have to plan in advance to get a campsite as they fill up VERY quickly. There's Henderson Beach, just a few miles down from the Destin Jetties. Grayton Beach and Topsail(which I think is RV camping only - so you can sleep in your car) are a little further down. Grayton Beach is actually probably smack in the middle of Destin Jetties and St Andrews. There are a few more state parks between Grayton and St. Andrews. St. Andrews IS a State Park, so you can't stay any closer to the jetties there than getting a campsite on that land.

Basically, you'll need to snipe for campsites at this point. Monitor the websites constantly for a cancellation and jump on them QUICK! Like Ebay, but nothing is automatic. So keep a web browser open and goodluck.

I am a little late posting on this topic. I strongly agree with SBM's post. St. Andrews jetties are on of my favorite dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom