First Underwater Camera, Site Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioLumiLuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got a brand new underwater camera, a lot better than the Go-Pro I usually use, for Christmas and I'm in love with the quality of the image, I even got a mount for it! I think the brand name for either the camera or the mount was Sea Dragon, but I'll need to check for sure cause the box, case, and all the gear is at my dad's with the rest of my dive gear, but I'm rambling.
What I wanna ask is what spots would you guys reccomend for good shoots? I live in the US, Virginia more specifically, and my family isn't the most finacially fortunate (this camera was a big present for me and I didn't get much else from my dad cause of how costly it was) so I'm hoping you guys can reccomend good spots near me so I can expand my portfolio. I'm attending an underwater photography program called "Sea Shots" sometime in the summer to get my certification, but after that I'm solo and I don't want my camera to collect dust on a shelf.
Reccomendations for good photoshoot locations in the US? Thanks!

@BioLumiLuna congratulations on the new camera! Underwater photography can be very tricky and very frustrating. I say this not to scare you away. Quite the opposite. I say it so that when you try hard and maybe do not get the results that you had hoped for that you will realize that it is a steep learning curve and that it will take time to master the skills that you will find useful. It really is normal to get frustrated, but do not give up. It will come to you, but it is rare that it is an easy journey.

I am not familiar with the diving near Richmond, but there are many places in Florida that have good diving where you can hone your new skills. I learned to dive in the "Redneck Riviera", the Florida Panhandle. Specifically in/near Panama City. There is also good diving throughout the Keys and along the east coast with the Blue Heron Bridge being home to an amazingly diverse array of "little stuff", while the waters near Jupiter Florida are known for sharks and Goliath Groupers.

I would also echo @2ndjetty 's advice. Dive and practice.

I live in Canada and have limited opportunities to do underwater photography for fish. I did an underwater photography course in Florida with Reef Photo but one thing I wish I had done before going was just practicing with a toy in a pool or in a local spot. I got a lot out of the course but probably could've learned more had I been more in tune with the camera.

One big thing I did learn from the workshop was how to take care of the housing and o-rings!

Yes, sounds like you have a SeaLife camera.
They have some great tutorials available on their website which are camera specific. A little more about technique than technical, but still a great place for you to start.
Great Pictures Made Easy - SeaLife Cameras

Have fun with your camera, don't listen to anyone who may say that you need this or that camera. It is the person behind the lens that makes the difference. The below quote is from the bonaire thread, and the video was done with a SeaLife camera. I wish I had half the talent this diver has.
Glad you are excited and you should be! Good for you that you get to go enjoy yourself and some great diving.

I have been there 3 times in the last year and a half and will be going back again in August for 2 weeks. I really enjoy Bonaire (in terms of Caribbean diving). I love the dive freedom, I love the shore diving and the inexpensive cost of shore diving, I enjoy the island and its food. I feel the diving is as good as anywhere else in the Caribbean. It doesn't have the dramatic walls and swim throughs of Cozumel or the Caymans, but I have found the reefs to be quite healthy. Just super fun and easy diving. As for favorite dive sites, I would put the following on my list:

SOUTHERN SITES:
- The Lake
- Pink Beach
- Salt Pier
- Margate Bay
- Vista Blue
- White Slave
CENTRAL SITES:
- Something Special (Night dive)
- Bari Reef
- The Cliff
NORTHERN SITES: