First Underwater Video with GoPro Hero 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WartedEmperor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I filmed my first underwater video on December 31, 2011 with a GoPro Hero 2 with the Blurfix attached. I thought I would post it here and see what kinda comments I get. I thought it came out pretty well for my first ever video. I thought it was funny when I edited 60 minutes a video into 2:30 minutes. I learned that I needed more camera angles even though I thought originally I had enough. So I guess in the future I should take more angles than I think I will need.

Beneath South Holston on Vimeo

Your video came out well. And yes, no matter how much video one shoots, there never seems enough footage you can use, or you're missing an angle or a subject. I took the Hero2 and a couple of original Heros to a week's worth of diving at Coco View on Roatan. Gave the Hero2 a workout, and tried 3D video with the two older Heros. Also played with different video lights (Bonica, SeaLife, the ones on my LiquidImage mask), and wished the Hero had some sort of underwater setting to color-compensate without having to get into filters.

I just posted a big review on the Hero2 on my site (see Hero2 review), and also a compilation of Hero2 scuba footage from Roatan (see Hero2 YouTube video)

Thanks!

nice vid man!....diggin the hero2.... that boat sure looks familiar lol is it really @ 60' with the lake down? I havnt been out there in a while but I remembered it at 90' some where I have a vid of that boat with the gopro 1 with the blurfix.... Ill see if I can dig it up for comparison

That came out pretty nice for a GoPro. I have not been a very big fan of these systems for underwater vids because people have such a hard time, it seems, keeping them steady and level without too much movement of the camera. You did a great job and nice editing.

robin

You did a nice job of the editing, my first video I used the chest strap and ended up with about 45 minutes of a black BC strap floating in front of the GoPro.

Great job! What were your camera settings? The video was great even in the low light environment.

I shot the video in 1080p at 30 fps in the wide setting. I used the medium angle setting on one dive but it made it look to narrow or something and seemed to bring down the quality. I also used the standard clear lens that came with the Blurfix.

nice vid man!....diggin the hero2.... that boat sure looks familiar lol is it really @ 60' with the lake down? I havnt been out there in a while but I remembered it at 90' some where I have a vid of that boat with the gopro 1 with the blurfix.... Ill see if I can dig it up for comparison

Well the boats are more like 50' when the lake is down but the overall average depth for the footage is probably around 60'. I took it to 80' to see how it did in that low light but it got to grainy for useable footage but I was impressed because it was really really dark and it still had an decent image without any lights.

We should go film it together sometime this summer.

That came out pretty nice for a GoPro. I have not been a very big fan of these systems for underwater vids because people have such a hard time, it seems, keeping them steady and level without too much movement of the camera. You did a great job and nice editing.

robin

Well to help with making the video steady I made a rig out of PVC that worked awesome. I also got the LCD back display which helps line up the shots better but only turned it on when needed. This was used on all the boat shots and of us swimming around the boat. I also mounted it to the front of my DPV looking down to give the feeling of reaching and leaving the boats. I also had it mounted looking back at me from the front of my DPV. You can tell when it is mounted to the DPV because you can see me holding the handle in the bottom center. This gave some good footage even when I really did not even plan on it, such as the ending shot of us surfacing.

I could only get about 15 minutes in HD setting. At first I thought it was my card but then I realized the battery would die.
Did you upgrade the battery to get 2.5 hours?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom