First Unread function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am I doing something wrong? Example: If I click on User CP to see subscriptions with new items, then click on the 'First Unread' button on a thread, many times it will take me to the first unread (actually already read) from my previous session. Do I need to click on something to let the system know where I left off reading on the thread so it knows where to take me next time? Thx- :)

I think you may have asked about this before, and at the time I seemed to have something similar going on, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I think it's the same as you though: I'm not quite sure what triggers the board software to "know" I'm in a new session. I think the problem may be that I don't sign in and out but stay signed in??

At any rate, if I come back several times in a day (and who doesn't :wink:), and I click "new posts" at the top of the board to get a list of new threads/posts, and then click on the "go to first new post" chevron at the beginning of a thread, if it's a thread that I have read earlier in the day, it will always take me back to that earlier new post and not the newest new post. Sometimes these are not even on the same page if it is an active thread.

What I'm not sure about is where is the cut off, because *sometimes* when I come back, it does take me to the "real" first new post. So, like you, I'm wondering what is telling the board that it's a new session, and is there a way for me to trigger that?

Not a huge issue, but probably like you, I'm wondering if it is just some silly little thing I'm doing or not doing that I could change.

Blue Sparkle

Blue Sparkle, I think you may have broken the code. I usually do not sign off, I just close the window. So, when I return to SB I'm still signed on. I'll try signing off and on for a few days to see of this fixes the problem.
Ever notice you get the "new post" chevron and the last person to post was you? :rofl3:

Am I doing something wrong? Example: If I click on User CP to see subscriptions with new items, then click on the 'First Unread' button on a thread, many times it will take me to the first unread (actually already read) from my previous session. Do I need to click on something to let the system know where I left off reading on the thread so it knows where to take me next time? Thx- :)

AFAIK, the memory function doesn't have anything to do with what you've actually looked at. It's purely based on what's new since the last session, which seems to be defined one of a few ways. As you've noted, one way of ending a session is to log out. Another way is to wait for the system to time out, which appears to take a little over an hour. I the longest I've seen may be about 1:11. The third way is the first item under the Quick Links menu, in the tool bar near the top of every page: Mark All Threads Read. This one can be especially handy if you regularly access SB from multiple devices, since it saves you the trouble of having to log back in.

Note that there have been at least a couple of bugs reported with the Go To First Unread post function, so sometimes you might end up slightly earlier (or later) in the thread.

BTW, you posted this in the Feedback. For future reference, as the forum rules state at the top of this (and every) page in this forum, support questions should go in Site Support, and generally get a quicker response there.

I'm sure experts will let everyone know if I've gotten any of this wrong. :)

Sigh. This has been nagging me since I wrote it and I finally realized I forgot one case, which is actually more directly related to what the Original Poster was trying to figure out. :blush:

When you actually load a thread, the system does indeed remember the last post in the thread that it's transmitted to your browser IF it's after your last previous bookmark, regardless of whether you actually scroll down far enough to read it. At least I think it's the last post displayed, and not just the last post in the thread at the time you display it. More applicable to multi-page threads, but I haven't really experimented enough to tell.

However, as previously mentioned, there have been a few bugs reported. One is that you may not be jumped to exactly the right post in threads where some of the posts have been deleted (i.e by moderators). This seems worse if you're paging through the thread at the same time as the moderators are actually moderating. The other one that people seem to be reporting a bit more often lately is if you don't have a thread displayed for long enough, the bookmark update doesn't seem to register every time. This use to be reliable after about 5-10 seconds, but lately seems a bit more erratic, especially if you have multiple windows open to SB.

Back
Top Bottom