Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I went into the dressing room to try on a new hooded vest. It had some kind of a slick inner lining that is supposed to cling to your skin. It certainly did. It was a tad tight, and I had a difficult time getting it on.

Getting it off was even harder, I pulled on it with everything I had, and my now heavily perspired skin seemed to make moving it impossible. I managed to get it halfway off, and then I realized two things:
  1. It really wasn't going anywhere.
  2. I couldn't breathe.

The mouth and nose area were surrounded by wet suit. As the hypercapnia breathing reflex swept over me, I managed to pull the hood down and breathe. Once my breathing returned to normal, I gave it another shot. Same result. I thought I was having a near death experience, but the light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be coming through the face hole in the hood.

I managed to pull it back on fully and went out to the floor, where I got help to peel it off.

Questions:

If I had died, would this have been considered a scuba accident?

Should I notify DAN?

I tried on my new Bare hooded vest for the first time at home by myself. The Bare vests have a glideskin material that really sticks to the skin if you are not wet. I had the same experience of getting the hood half way off and then nearly freaking out as I thrashed around like a dog with a blanket placed over him. Nearly dislocated my shoulder in the process. Moral of the story, don't try on hooded vests by yourself.

I had a similar embarrassing experience in the Henderson outlet once. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the dressing room when it happened. I was in the middle of the store, trying on a hood. I looked like a bloated tick in the thing and thought I'd have an aneurysm before I got the dreaded thing off.

I wonder if this would have counted as a dive fatality? :wink:

Too funny,

I was outfitting a couple with gear for the OW checkouts one time and gave them wetsuits to try on. The guy, politely he was heavy-set, gets the wrong wetsuit and goes into the dressing room. He comes out like 20 minutes later with a rear-entry womans wetsuit pulled on backwards and is trying zip the front. I have no idea how he got all 4 appendages into that suit, but it scared the crap out of me when he came out of the dressing area, totally red faced and appearing on the verge of a coronary. At first I tried not to laugh just at him having it on backwards, when I realized he'd grabbed the small I'd meant for his SO I think I did laugh out loud. By the time it was over all 3 of us laughed so it turned out ok.

Shallow Draft:
Did you leave the dressing room to fast?
you should have stoped a few feet from the show room floor for at least 3 minutes

:lol: I think he stayed in the dressing room too long and should do a required deco stop. sorry couldn't resist. :D

glad you're ok. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Where was your buddy? :wink: Always dress with a buddy :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom