First WE as DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axeman

Contributor
Reaction score
So I did my first weekend as a divemaster

Went out with Oakville divers. Had a great time. There were 6 students out for the weekend getting their certification. While I have had the opourtunity to work with the other 3 shops that Oakville is associated with, this was my first time with Oakville.

I would have to say that I was impressed with the whole operation. Rob is very safety concious and focused on providing the right service for the students.

As a new DM he gave me the run down on the boat and operations. It blew my mind how he went beyond the mimimum standards for everything. Things like bouyant heaving lines, life rings with auto activated strobes, first aide, oxygen, etc. Not only was it all there, but there seemed to be twice as much as was needed from what I remember of CG standards. He even had a stokes basket. When he showed me his oxygen kit I was happy. Then he showed me his supply I was even happier... cause he has got several small 20 min botles for transport but also a much bigger cylinder for on board treatment. I think he has enough safety gear for a boat 3 times that size.

Enough about the safety (which was first rate). The boat was spacious and well laid out. There was plenty of room for tanks and gear and getting geared up for the dive. Everyone was able to take their time, which was good for me as I was able to keep up with everything while filling out a DM sheet and lowering the ladder and raising the dive flag and getting the chase boat and diver floats ready. WOW there is a lot to do as DM.

oh yeah the boat is also equiped with radar and GPS, so he was able to get us to the various dive sites with ease.

Rob, (the owner/operator) was there to help out every step of the way and was very professional in dealing with me and the students.

So my first weekend was a humbleing experience and a rewarding one. Running a charter boat is a LOT of work. But I got a chance to work in all areas including driving the boat for a bit.

The students all had fun and posed for pictures etc. at the end. I don't think we could have asked for a better weekend for the weather. So all in all it was great.

They are doing certification weekends every second weekend and the ones in between are for charter dives. On tuesday nights they are going out in dives as well. The tuesday night dives are only 30 bucks. I went last tuesday and had a great time for the money.

Back
Top Bottom