First weekend in April Destin dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well the water is warming faster than normal... so am out of the dry suit...

Sat was a couple of small reefs (as we only had three divers on the boat), one of which I don't remember ever being on.

Grey snapper were everywhere...

This video shows how they are effected by divers... when I first got to the spot, there were fish all over the place, and then as another diver approached, they started to hid...but the ones on the other side did nothing.

Seems that about 20 ft away will get them to bolt unless one is very quiet (I was around 5 ft from them at the time.

Sadly I missed most of them going into the hole

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/grey_snapper.wmv

Video is really crappy because I downsized it to the wrong format for SB and then converted it to WMV....way too much processing.

A spearer could have spent the whole dive sitting in one spot.

There were several 2 ft and bigger ones on the other side, hiding in holes.

Took a few more pictures... but this was the weekend for testing out a new macro lens... so what comes next is the results of that.

The next day was whitehill and the liberty ship....

Love that dive, but now we had a full boat.. and that means scared fish.

There were several huge stingrays around, but with a macro lens, this was the best I could do:

stingray_11_04_001.jpg

The liberty ship was covered with bat fish, outside in the sand... don't have a clue what the meeting was all about.

Batfish_11_04_001.jpg

pretty easy to tell those are pink lipped batfish.

Frog fish and nudi's were everywhere..

nudi_11_04_001.jpg

frogfish_11_04_001.jpg

As were scorpion fish

scfish_2011_4_001.jpg

scfish_11_04_002.jpg

And a couple other shots of common fish:

sandgoby_11_04_002.jpg

Toadfish_11_04_001.jpg

dartfish_11_04_001.jpg

flounder_11_04_010.jpg

Blenny_11_04_003.jpg

Blenny_11_04_002.jpg

For the first time, I finally saw a arrowhead crab with eggs...

arrowheadcrab_11_04_010.jpg

Well, I think that is eggs.. not really sure.

Great fun diving, even if the vis could have been a lot better.

Awesome pics as usual. I have yet to photo a nudi.

I took pictures of three different ones.. just like the position on that one the best... its like frog fish, seeing the first one is difficult.. after that, not seeing them is hard...

I have yet to get a picture of a nudi also. The sad thing is last year after a dive with Jim, he asked me if I got a picture of the nudi's! I couldn't believe he got some pictures of a nudi and I totally missed seeing one.

Hey Jim, next time we dive...the signal for seeing a nudi is when you start peeling off your wetsuit underwater!!:D

Oh yeah, it goes without saying...Great Pictures!

Awesome pics as usual. I have yet to photo a nudi.

Really liked the flounder pic. Although this is a common shot, yours is exceptional.

Thanks Dave... yea I take pictures of them only because it is almost impossible to get one that looks nice... arrowhead crabs are the same...I have exactly one nice image of one..after taking several thousand.

I think if I was using my larger strobes, I could make the eyes glow more.. need to try that next time.

I have yet to get a picture of a nudi also. The sad thing is last year after a dive with Jim, he asked me if I got a picture of the nudi's! I couldn't believe he got some pictures of a nudi and I totally missed seeing one.

Hey Jim, next time we dive...the signal for seeing a nudi is when you start peeling off your wetsuit underwater!!:D

Oh yeah, it goes without saying...Great Pictures!

Thanks Glenn.

I believe that was the dive this was taken on:

nudi940.JPG

Would you like me to catch some of them and put them in an aquarium for you? They don't move that fast, so it should be easy.

How about I just draw a picture of one with my dive knife on your arm, as the suit thing is not going to happen.

They are actually really hard to see. Candy cane shrimp and pipefish are even harder to see. Now, I rarely make a dive without seeing several Nudi's, but those others are still a bit hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom