First weekend in July anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the dive guys! I enjoyed getting out and putting some faces to the names (well, pseudonyms anyways).

July 5th, Furry Creek / Porteau Cove.
Picture019.jpg

How was the vis at Furry Creek?

Porteau was a cluster with < 5' vis and it was a very low tide, so even the stern of the Grant Hall was only in about 40 FSW and it *just* started to clear up at that depth.

We only did one dive as a second would have been a waste of air.

Vis was mediocre. Shallow it was pretty poor, at depth around 15', maybe 20' for a short period.

For a second dive most of us went to dive the Nakaya. Vis was similar on the Nakaya. We parked in the upper parking lot and walked down the trail to the north end of the beach. The surface swim is much shorter especially on a low tide. I think that is the easiest way to dive the Nakaya.

Vis was mediocre. Shallow it was pretty poor, at depth around 15', maybe 20' for a short period.

For a second dive most of us went to dive the Nakaya. Vis was similar on the Nakaya. We parked in the upper parking lot and walked down the trail to the north end of the beach. The surface swim is much shorter especially on a low tide. I think that is the easiest way to dive the Nakaya.
I think I saw you guys go in, Scott. Porteau's parking lot was a zoo yesterday - a couple bus loads of tourists and they occupied all the picnic tables, too. And I was surprised how many people were diving, with the majority walking more than half way to the Nakaya. :shocked2:

I think it's time to start fishing the Fraser for some salmon and leave the diving for a couple months! Andrew, you in? :wink:

I think I saw you guys go in, Scott.
I saw you guys standing in the water while we were walking down Todd. I hoped to say hi but you were gone when we got out.

I think it's time to leave the diving for a couple months!
Stop your swearin' boy!

I think it's time to start fishing the Fraser for some salmon and leave the diving for a couple months! Andrew, you in? :wink:

Todd, we should take your boat and freshwater Dale to a spot I know and try diving with sturgeon:D.

Todd, we should take your boat and freshwater Dale to a spot I know and try diving with sturgeon:D.

That's the best idea I've heard all day!

I haven't forgotten about Silver lake Andrew but my wife is working afternoons for the next couple of days and I can't get away (daddy duty). I'm willing to ditch the kids for some sturgeon though (family only goes so far).
For a warm up (for those not familiar with the Sturgeon) I suggest a visit to the containment pond at the inch creek fish hatchery (Dewdney). They have two in there in the 6-8' range. Baby's I know but they get you in the mood :eyebrow:

Ok, I'm not very knowledgeable but I am very gullible. Are you serious about there being a diveable place where one could run into sturgeon? Sounds like a good place to have the NEXT meet and greet!!!

Even when the Fraser runs at its cleanest the only way to see a sturgeon would be to literally bump into it. They don't have teeth so the only way one could injure you is with its scutes, and the only way that could happen is if you were to bump into one. Add to that, fishing line and the crazy currents of the Fraser and I think you'll agree that foolishness of this magnitude should only be undertaken by trained professional fools... like me:D.

Back
Top Bottom