First Whale Shark sighting off Playa's coast in 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlayaCountryBoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Playa del Carmen, Mexico-Meso American Reef
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Each year we have the world's largest fish, the Whale Shark, cruise past Playa del Carmen on the way up to the Isla Holbox area of the Yucatan in Spring. Then again in fall when they reutrn back towards the Bay Isalnds, Honduras. Today I was headed to Tortugas reef with Rob, Steve, Jeff, and Bill when all of a sudden...."slow the boat down ...we have a whale shark in the water!" I donned my mask and fins and grabbed my camera and I jumped in after him. My guests entered the water and also tried to keep up with him, but I had better luck chasing after the 20ft long creature. Here's what I saw...Enjoy!:popcorn:

Truly an awesome experience!! What an unexpected thrill you delivered for us!! Then again, in three years of diving with ya, one thing we've learned is to be prepared for the wonderfully unexpected!! Can't wait to discover what tomorrow has in store for us!!

Your lucky and grateful guests,

- Rob (Jeff, Steve and Bill)

Nice video man!! Ya we saw one last week coming out of Moche Shallow, pretty special to see them here, and it's pretty special for the customers who get to experience these beautiful animals. This one is bigger than the one we saw! Take care.

Awesome! I am diving with Jason this Saturday...Hopefully we get to experience this..Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom