Fish & Game Commission approves South Coast MPAs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given these authorities already patrol the coast, what changes? I have not seen any reference to additional patrols or funding for such for any of the authorities.

Another great point and one that I mentioned earlier. We cannot expect MPA's to be effective with 1 Fish and Game warden for every 836 square miles (approx.) of area. I also have not heard of any additional funding for patrols nor additional funding for watercraft.

Not only has the MLPAI failed to achieve it's objectives, it will fail to enforce the few ineffective changes it did make. What it did take of the table was any form of adaptive management. Also, commercial and sport take of finfish and crustaceans was not reduced, instead that same effort will be concentrated into a smaller area, our ocean will be fished harder. All reasons why the MLPAI is ultimately a very very poorly executed good idea. We meant well when the legislation was first written, but the process has been perverted and this is the garbage they came up with.

No funding for enforcement, no actual changes to prevent water pollution, no regulations to prevent land development, no well managed overall plan for finfish and no room for biologists to manage our resources. Funny thing is, those are the exact objectives the MLPAI was supposed to achieve. Very sad indeed.

Hey Bill, hows it goin? I'm just curious, are you still an active diver? If so how do you get there? By boat, shore entries? If by boat, the dissolved exhaust gasses into the sea water,damages the ecosystem, or the extensive damage from anchor chains( that you've seen completely strip huge rocks of all its life while swells yank the anchor rode up and down its path,) or is it by shore entry, then the life you kill while crossing sensitive marine life, is it justified? Or is it the concrete steps that have been put in place some years ago, also killing that marinelife? In any case it is damage, but in a sense only by degree are we all responsible for the damage or killing of marine life. You say you are not a fisherman since 75, however to claim you right to enjoy healthy ecosystems you still have to admit to claiming your right to resources even if it is high or low on a scale of killing. Its like don't cry when your voice is not heard when divers themselves get thrown out of the ocean on account of the damage by simple legislation. I'm not picking on you bill, its just that seeing the fishery resources we have from the cycles of pacific decadal oscillations primarilly dominate the fact of fish counts during specific el nino periods, which vary to extremely long (70yrs) cycles to short year cycles, which I think MPA closures are nothing but a bureaucratic measure that's soon gonna be aiming at everything, including divers. I realize that during the warm Pacific Decadal Oscillations the bureaucratic efforts are quieted. And as soon as the reversed "cool" PDO is well underway, is when the non fishing regulators or public is crying out to "save the ocean." Its understandable. I just look at my right as someone who dives saying to some kid, "hey have fun fishing in an overpressured fishing area." when you and I Bill fished as kids in open waters.

Another great point and one that I mentioned earlier. We cannot expect MPA's to be effective with 1 Fish and Game warden for every 836 square miles (approx.) of area. I also have not heard of any additional funding for patrols nor additional funding for watercraft.

Actually they are pretty effective because if you do get caught being bad, the fines are huge and you can lose your fishing gear which can include your boat.

Dwayne

Actually they are pretty effective because if you do get caught being bad, the fines are huge and you can lose your fishing gear which can include your boat.

Dwayne

and the public can always call in when they see somebody breaking the rules.

Also, commercial and sport take of finfish and crustaceans was not reduced, instead that same effort will be concentrated into a smaller area, our ocean will be fished harder.

yes but these areas will have the nearby protected areas to repopulate them. studies have shown that fish stocks near to protected areas are often bigger in size and more plentiful. so the fishing might actually improve thanks to these MPAs.

yes but these areas will have the nearby protected areas to repopulate them. studies have shown that fish stocks near to protected areas are often bigger in size and more plentiful. so the fishing might actually improve thanks to these MPAs.

I hope you are right but I have never personally experienced it. If I were king of the world I would shut down virtually all commercial fishing of CA bottom fish and I would have fewer MPA's but much greater limits on fish catch. The good news is that no one is going to listen to my opinion so everyone's desire to expand MPA's are safe. As mentioned, I think the commercial guys will continue to destroy fish stocks and the sporting community--with virtually no limits--will fish the smaller and smaller productive areas to the point where nothing is left--not even barnacles!

well, the beauty of MPAs is that you can give them 20 years and if they don't work you can consider reversing the fishing laws down the road.

H2Ocean,
Looks like the last few comments are tongue in cheek mocking the chicken littles around here. There won't be anyone to spot activity in an MPA because nobody else will be around to see it, especially when fog sets in.
Ken Wiseman said on PBS last week that fish know where the GPS coordinates are and stay within the boundaries, so that can't be true that stocks around MPA's will be better. He has a study that shows this as well. These pro MPA guys have a study showing everything, including map reading skills for fish.
White Knight, I don't even know which inaccuracy to start at on your statements. Oh boy they were Duesies. The world is happy you are not King.

JustinW: Not sure what "Duesies" you are referring to. I was simply commenting on my personal experiences and the annual catch reports as presented by the California Fish and Game going back two decades in some cases. The numbers are on the WFG web site for everyone to see? Anyway, good luck with the your MPA's--they are most definately expanding in size and number. But you are part right, the world is glad I am not King. At least in California, the world agrees with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom