Fish I.D. help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this little fella while diving in Belize last month. He was about 3cm long, and at a depth of about 15 meters.

Sorry, this was the best photo I could capture as he was quite elusive.

Maybe a Blenny?? He didn't appear to have the "neck bend" of a Garden Eel. I was unable to find him in the Reef Fish book.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I think either some type of Goby or Blenny. Hard to tell with that picture, but I would guess a Goby since there are more of them that have transparent looking bodies.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right with this picture, but it seems to have a very pointed "barracuda-like" snout. Also i borrowed your pic and exaggerated the color and contrast a bit on photoshop, I can also make out that its gill covers are large and end pretty far back of the eye. Also the tail is buried straight down in the sand. So I think is some kind of Pikeblenny. My guess: a yellowface pikeblenny, prob female.

Yes, it did have a pointed snout, and it was in the sand (like a Jawfish in its burrow).

I concur with Livi that it's a Pikeblenny (Chaenopsis family). Can't say which species but most common Caribbean ones are Yellowface, Bluethroat and Resh, so you should look into those.

Thanks guys! It's exciting to find a fish that I haven't seen before. I know........:dork2:

I had a hard time seeing the pointed snout. But I think that Livan got it absolutely correct.

Dang, that's the only photo I have. Now I wish I had spent some more time shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom