Fish ID book recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skook... The Humann series was our holy book when I was down there on liveabord. There were other books out on the coffee table available for reference, and yet the Reef [Creature/Fish] books were the only ones people seemed to want. I actually remember people thumbing through miscellaneous 'other' reference books while waiting for the Humann ones to be available.

Quite the authority and laid out fairly well.

If you want a book, the Humann/Deloach book is it. However, if you want a much, much more complete compendium of fish ID information, get the DVD set from Reefnet.ca ReefNet Inc. | Reef Fish Identification - Interactive Edition. If you are at all serious about fish id, you will find the DVD beneficial because it has significantly more images and species!! represented.

If you want a book, the Humann/Deloach book is it. However, if you want a much, much more complete compendium of fish ID information, get the DVD set from Reefnet.ca ReefNet Inc. | Reef Fish Identification - Interactive Edition. If you are at all serious about fish id, you will find the DVD beneficial because it has significantly more images and species!! represented.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this~! I have a copy too, and what lmorin said is very true. The little video clips are also very helpful in showing what sorts of habitats the fish live in. I've had to go to the DVD several times when I couldn't find the species in the clamshell books. The DVD has a couple other neat features to it, and I use the slideshows to teach my fish ID classes.

Tom

Ditto everyone else's comments: Humann series is very good ... get the Reef Fish DVD as well if it's in your budget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom