Fish Id book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Taveuni, Fiji next March and want to get a book on fish identification for the area. Do a little studying before the trip. I am not looking for a vacation guide or such. Any good titles would be appreciated.

The best known book is Reef Fish Identification, Tropical Pacific, by Allen, Steene, Humann and Deloach. Published by New World Publications and Odyssey Publications. It sells on Amazon for about $30. I paid more at my LDS. I was able to identify everything I needed for my last Fiji trip with it. Good pics and very user friendly.

btw. If you have fish you cannot identify after your trip and have pictures then you can use a section on this board to ask what it is. The URL is Name that Critter - ScubaBoard.
There are other internet sites dedicated to identification (fish,corals, nudibranchs, etc) if you wish. Internet searches can provide info on what forum/board you need though some sites have little traffic (=few responses).

Thanks for the information. When I get back from a dive, I like to look up fish/creatures and read about them. Also, before the trip, to get an idea of what to look for. I will check out that book!

I got an advance, SIGNED copy of the new Humann-DeLoach book on Tropical Pacific Reef Creatures Identification (not Fish Creatures as referred to in the previous post) and can assure you that it is excellent. I will no longer need any other book for reef creatures. Get this and the Reef Fish Identification book referred to in post #2 and you'll be set for almost everything that is alive below the waterline in the tropical pacific (I say "almost" because these two books would not cover, for example, coral species or different types of anenomes).

Sorry for posting the wrong title. Brain fart! May I ask how you got an advance copy?

Glad to hear it's got everything you need for Reef Creature Identification.

Now I wonder if there is anything out there about the other non-fish creatures; turtles, sea mammals, etc. Are there enough to warrant a separate book? Could they not include them as an aside in one of the other guides?

I also own A Diver's guide to Udnderwater Malaysia Macrolife by Andrea and Antonella Ferrari. It's a lovely guide, full of absolutely stunning photographs, but it does concentrate on the Indo-Pacific; this excludes Palau, and I'm really not sure how much crossover there is.

Last edited:
I received an email in early October from New World Publications (the publishers of the book) saying that they were offering advanced copies of the book. Here is the link Reef Creature Identification - Tropical Pacific ; maybe there are still some signed copies available.

I agree that there should be something out there for sea mammals, turtles and the like. I am guessing that there aren't enough of them to warrant their own ID book (unless you wanted to get into the details of habitat, breeding, feeding etc), so why not include them in one of the Fish ID books? Good question.

Well, I just got my copy of Tropical Pacific Reef Creatures Identification . The photos are AMAZING. The scope and depth--magnificent. This is truly a monumental work, years--decades?--in the making.

Really happy to see a small, but informative, section on cephalopod behavior, symbiosis, and invertebrate reproduction. That was an added plus. And really surprised just how many "undescribed" species there are listed--i.e. so newly discovered they don't have a name (or much else) for them yet.

Wow!

Hi,

I am specifically looking for a very good book for Sodwana, South-Africa and Ponta do oruo, Mozambique.

Can anybody suggest a very good book that will cover as much sea life in this area as possible?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom