Fish ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a couple of pictures where I am not sure of what they are. Can anybody help? Both taken here off Oahu

The first picture, the coloring is like that of a Moorish Idol, but the shape isn't. I saw that fish at a depth of about 80-90'

The second picture is of a fish that some can't seem to agree upon. I found it at a depth fo 110' hiding in the tail wing of a plane wreck.
The people here are saying it is a big eye, but the front just doens't look right. Do you have any ideas?
Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
I have a couple of pictures where I am not sure of what they are. Can anybody help? Both taken here off Oahu

The first picture, the coloring is like that of a Moorish Idol, but the shape isn't. I saw that fish at a depth of about 80-90'

The second picture is of a fish that some can't seem to agree upon. I found it at a depth fo 110' hiding in the tail wing of a plane wreck.
The people here are saying it is a big eye, but the front just doens't look right. Do you have any ideas?
Aloha,
Lisa

Can't tell about the fish under the tail wing, but the other looks like a juvenile Moorish Idol.

BTW, take a look here for some fish IDs: http://www.reef.org/index.shtml

Bonne chance,

Hi Lisa!

My first reaction to the second fish was a Bannerfish, so I did some Googling for you here . Maybe you can find something similar... if the link is not working go to the main page and search under Angelfishes.

Cheers!

Aloha,

The moorish idol is a juvenile, probably settled out in the last 2-3 weeks. The other "thing" I can't tell, not enough details to see clearly. Not an aweoweo, or bigeye, for sure. Can you describe it a little more?

808statediver:
Aloha,

The moorish idol is a juvenile, probably settled out in the last 2-3 weeks. The other "thing" I can't tell, not enough details to see clearly. Not an aweoweo, or bigeye, for sure. Can you describe it a little more?

I wish I could! I took the picture because I saw something move. then it was gone, most likely way to the back of the wing. I didn't get a good look until I checked out the picture.
I have gone back and tried burning the underlaying areas a bit and you can see the 2nd eye a bit more....and since I took that shot (on Nov 3rd) I haven't been back to the corsair.
I got in touch with the Bishop Muesum and they said bigeye.....but I just can't agree with that.

If you like you can PM me your email and I can sent you the lightend copy...you can see more than in the one here.

Aloha,
Lisa

I must have stared at photo #2 over a dozen times the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure it's even a FISH. What part of the body is that vague red blob supposed to represent, anyway? I don't see "scale shimmer".

archman:
I must have stared at photo #2 over a dozen times the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure it's even a FISH. What part of the body is that vague red blob supposed to represent, anyway? I don't see "scale shimmer".

Nope, can't see scales in the original 4MP pic either. I would guess it is the top or head....If you want to see the original, send me your email and you can get a better, large view of it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom