Fisheye FIX Lights Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken, Warren, et al:

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'll be ordering my HG20DX tomorrow!

Wyant (jetpilot379)

Fisheyeview:

Thanks for the info and link. I'll check it out.

Have you had any issues with the HG20DX bulb(s) burning out prematurely???

Never had a problem with it. I have been using it since February on the original bulb, and I diver about every other weekend to every weekend. I have a spare bulb that I carry in my kit.

Ken, Warren, et al:

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'll be ordering my HG20DX tomorrow!

Wyant (jetpilot379)

Get the red filter for it. I use mine to shoot hamlets mating at dusk. I can't do it without a light, and without the red filter they get scared off.

Interesting. I can see the benefits of a good focus light in clear waters for shooting up close macro. I shoot a lot of my stuff in relatively low viz (10-20 ft) and often dark conditions with my wide angle. Anything short of my 21W Salvo HID, I've found no light to work effectively (or at all) under these conditions, unfortunately. What I need is a strong enough LED system synced with my shutter to go off, as the HID works well, but it's a pain to lock focus and hold it while I move the HID away from my focus area, then shoot. I often end up with the star wars laser type effect. Kind of neat for one or two shots, but it gets old after a while.

boland-2007-12.jpg

Fisheyeview:

I have a follow-up question on your comments about the red filter not scaring hamlets at dusk: Do you think the red filter would keep pygmy seahorses from turning their heads away when a normal focusing light shines on them? I assume the camera can focus whether the light is white or red?

Thanks!

I don't know about Pygmies, but it does help w/ shrimps & crabs on night dives.

I have had my FIX light for almost 3 years and I am still on the original bulb (I do carry a spare though).

HTH,
Dave

I have both the Fisheye20DX and the Fantasea 44Led and the Fisheye beats the pants off the Fantasea. The LED light will not "overide" daylight when you sometimes need more light to help with focusing on subjects with poor contrast or doing macro with add on lenses.

I have been through 2 bulbs so far, although it could be my fault for using it on "full volume" all of the time. Then Dave gave me a wake up call and suggested I turn it down unless necessary and the current one seems to be lasting much longer.

There is also a 10W version of the bulb available which is both cheaper and has alonger life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom