Fisheye FIX mini LED Focus Light versus Fantasea nano LED focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

General Po

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fisheye FIX mini LED Focus Light versus Fantasea nano LED focus light. Has anyone used both of these lights? Which one should I get? The Fisheye is $58 plus $39 for the shoe adapter from Reef or Backscatter and the Fantasea is slightly cheaper from Adorama at $65 including the shoe mount. I've read that the Fantasea can be prone to flooding if you turn the dial too far is the Fisheye likely to do the same thing?

The Fisheye is rated at 20 lumens and the Fantasea at 18,000 mcd. I have no idea what an mcd is or how it compares to a lumen.

BTW I have a Oly EPL-3 with two Inon D2000s and a Fisheye fix LED 1000 video light. So I'm looking for a small, light, focus light that can be pointed in the same direction as the lens and has an auto shut-off when the strobes fire. I dive in pretty awful vis on local dives and so far the camera (bought this Jan) has only been slow to focus when I've been pointing it into a hole to photograph eels. I have been using the focus light on the strobe but this isn't ideal as I need to move the strobe to point directly at the object which may not always be the best place for it.

I'm aware that there is a bit of discussion on the forum about these products but I can't find anything that states whether one is any better than the other.
Cheers

I've got the fisheye with ys to ball 3" arm if you want to buy. I'm in Thailand...send me a PM if you want to buy from me. It's got about 5-10 dives on it, never flooded and appears to be in pristine condition. I don't need it as I've upgraded. It's a good little light but no powerful enough for me. Make offer if interested.

I think that they are both identical if my memory is correct.

P2252151.jpg

The lights are identical in fact 18,000 mcd over 70 degrees are exactly 20 lumens

Having said that the light really works for macro only will not be good for bigger subjects in murky waters

I would also advise you not to buy a cold shoe that does not rotate like the adorama one you mention as if you hit the light you risk of ruining the housing. Get either a ball or a rotary mount

Consider the option of manual focus if your camera offers it as that will do the job without the focus light...
Fisheye FIX mini LED Focus Light versus Fantasea nano LED focus light. Has anyone used both of these lights? Which one should I get? The Fisheye is $58 plus $39 for the shoe adapter from Reef or Backscatter and the Fantasea is slightly cheaper from Adorama at $65 including the shoe mount. I've read that the Fantasea can be prone to flooding if you turn the dial too far is the Fisheye likely to do the same thing?

The Fisheye is rated at 20 lumens and the Fantasea at 18,000 mcd. I have no idea what an mcd is or how it compares to a lumen.

BTW I have a Oly EPL-3 with two Inon D2000s and a Fisheye fix LED 1000 video light. So I'm looking for a small, light, focus light that can be pointed in the same direction as the lens and has an auto shut-off when the strobes fire. I dive in pretty awful vis on local dives and so far the camera (bought this Jan) has only been slow to focus when I've been pointing it into a hole to photograph eels. I have been using the focus light on the strobe but this isn't ideal as I need to move the strobe to point directly at the object which may not always be the best place for it.

I'm aware that there is a bit of discussion on the forum about these products but I can't find anything that states whether one is any better than the other.
Cheers

Thanks for this! It never would have occurred to me that I should be looking for a rotary mount but I see the potential problem now you have mentioned it. Cheers.

The lights are identical in fact 18,000 mcd over 70 degrees are exactly 20 lumens

Having said that the light really works for macro only will not be good for bigger subjects in murky waters

I would also advise you not to buy a cold shoe that does not rotate like the adorama one you mention as if you hit the light you risk of ruining the housing. Get either a ball or a rotary mount

Consider the option of manual focus if your camera offers it as that will do the job without the focus light...

Hi,

I happily used the FIX focus light up until the day it flooded. Which was the day after my friend's flooded, and the day before my other friend's flooded. They are cheap and work as advertised for macro, but the tiny o-ring and twist-on "switch" are not for prime time. Too bad, because it is so lightweight! Save your money and go for something from Big Blue, Light & Motion, or others.

- Dave

I have the FIX focus light and feel it never provided enough light to actually aid in my T2i's focusing. I just got a Light and Motion Sola 500 but have not gotten wet with it though even though is the smallest one in the line it puts out a ton of light. The FIX will reside in my BC pocket as a BU light for night diving.

They are prone to flooding however they are also pretty resilient so once you remove the oxide and give it a clean it starts working again. I found that switching the light on when you are on the surface or in the first meters and then leaving it on is the best way not to flood it
The light has over 6 hours autonomy so you can do your day of diving and recharge the AAA at the end, this is what I do

Hi,

I happily used the FIX focus light up until the day it flooded. Which was the day after my friend's flooded, and the day before my other friend's flooded. They are cheap and work as advertised for macro, but the tiny o-ring and twist-on "switch" are not for prime time. Too bad, because it is so lightweight! Save your money and go for something from Big Blue, Light & Motion, or others.

- Dave

Ok maybe I am missing something but does your Video Light have power adjustments? If it does it should make a good focus light. Like you we dive in low viz waters if you just put your video light on possibly a little longer arm it should work just fine as a focus light.

I am happy with the 2 we have had and used on 100-200 dives. They both flooded within a day or 2 of each other on a trip to Bonaire possibly with the assistance of an overzealous divemaster on the boats cranking the "lid" too far! Or maybe the boat or dock rinse tank! The only damage is to the led unit. I will try to find the part......alkaline batterys do last about 8 hours, so I never crack'em open until changing batterys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom