Fixing ripped diverite dump valve string

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Discovered that it was ripped. Should I replace the 1.5 inch disc or just drill a hole through the plate and replace the string through that hole? A little silicone or epoxy adhesive should secure and waterproof no? If not, where to buy and how much the disc and string cost?

Discovered that it was ripped. Should I replace the 1.5 inch disc or just drill a hole through the plate and replace the string through that hole? A little silicone or epoxy adhesive should secure and waterproof no? If not, where to buy and how much the disc and string cost?

Got a picture?

Mine are rubber (Zeagle) and sized so the string fits the hole - there's no seal.
They don't leak.

I suppose you could add a small rubber washer with the appropriate size hole in it between the knot and the disk also?

Did the cord rip or the rubber gasket?

If the cord ripped, just take it all apart, put the rubber from the plastic (it’s glued on) and put in new string. I used cave line. Then put the rubber gasket back on the plastic over the knot. Believe it or not, the glue will continue to hold. Put it all together for free.

Cord ripped out. I should have listened to the dir people and cut the knob off. Seems like the robber gasket is glued on very well so I can not see a seam. I think it is easier just to drill through the plastic backing and gasket.... thread a 2 mm braided nylon cord through and tie two good knots on the gasket side and pull till it wedges in the rubber. You think I can separate the gasket from the hard plastic??? And you said the glue is the original and still sticks?

Just use a butter knife at the edge of the rubber and pull it from the plastic. Piece of cake. I’ve done this probably a dozen times for students. Then, when you put new cord in, use a figure 8 knot so the knot is bigger than the hole in the plastic. Then put the rubber back in the plastic, the glue will still be stick enough. Then re-assemble correctly. This is total a 5 minute job to resolve. Plus, you don’t want to put a hole in that rubber.

Thanks! Save me from drilling a hole! I am guessing the knot got caught on extra gears in the dive bag. Likely the fins and got ripped. Little reasons to show pictures as it is only a back disc with a hole on the plastic side. Good to hear from someone who has worked with diverite gears before.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom