flash for s60 with wpdc40 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello...
I am loking for the best choice for a strobe to use with my canon setup. Anyone out there have any suggestions.
I try to keep my photography as simple as possible. I am not very experienced , but, am ready to take the next step.
All suggestions are appreciated.

I would guess that either Inon or Sea&Sea would have a strobe that would work as they both support slave mode vial optical link. The Sea&Sea YS-27 is likely the lowest cost option, or for a little more you can have the YS-110 which is far more powerful and versatile.

I am new to this. Could you elaborate a bit on how that works?

I use an S70 in the same housing as yours, with an Inon D2000. A fiberoptic cable picks up the flash from the camera, triggering the flash of the D2000. The WPDC40 does not allow a direct cable link nor does the S60/70 series support one, so you will need to use an optically triggered strobe such as the Inon. The Inon system can be set manually or through a semi-automatic system that they liken to TTL. You can read about it at their website, search for Inon America. Note also that to use the Inon strobe, you will need some additional hardware for your housing, a lens mount and a strobe arm and baseplate. You can usually pick these up as a package, I got mine from Ryan at Reef photo video. Best of luck to you.

To be honest, I'm fairly new to it all too. Any strobe you use will need a way to know when to fire, Inon and Sea&Sea (amongst others) do this via fiber optic cable. One end of the cable connects to your housing, likely with an adapter. When the flash from your camera goes off, it sends light through the fiber optic which is connected to the strobe. This tells the strobe to fire.

You will need a grip/base, arms, a strobe (or 2) and appropriate optic sync cables which all need to be compatible with your strobe choice. The lowest cost option, depending on long term upgrade plans, would be something like the Sea&Sea YS-27DX which is targeted at compact cameras.

If you check out B&H Photo they carry all of the parts needed (though are closed for ordering due to holidays). Search for # SEYS27DXLK for a complete kit (or SEYS110DXLK for YS110 based). There are plenty of lower cost options on the B&H site, I just can't vouch for any of them.

You may wish to read these:
B&H Photo
B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

I use an S70 in the same housing as yours, with an Inon D2000.

I also use the S70. I'd love to hear any comments you have on your Inon setup. Do you have a gallery somewhere?

Nope, no gallery of strobed shots. The stuff I have on scubaboard is mostly just random ambient light stuff. There are far better photographers on this board using the Inon than me!

Hello...
I am loking for the best choice for a strobe to use with my canon setup. Anyone out there have any suggestions.
I try to keep my photography as simple as possible. I am not very experienced , but, am ready to take the next step.
All suggestions are appreciated.

I also use Inon D2000. I've had it for a couple of years and have used it on an S70 and S80. One feature I like is that it's flexible in its use. If you like to take photos in the "point & shoot" mode, then you can use the strobe that way. As you get more experienced in your u/w/ photography, you may want to move to using the manual mode on your camera, and the D2000 will work beautifully in that mode as well. Another feature I like is the built-in pointing light which softly illuminates your subject on your night dives for focusing, etc. I bought my strobe rig from Ryan at Reef Photo & Video and I recommend him highly.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks... that is all great info. I am going to research some of the options posed. I'm sure I will have more questions. Keep the suggestions coming.

Any underwater strobe that works in slave mode will do the job.

I have an S70 in the same housing. Using a Nikonos 105 with aluminium foil to block the direct camera flash, the spill fires the Nikonos no problem 99% of the time. I have never tried the optical fibre gadgets.

I also tape a torch to the flash head to aim the flash and help the camera auto focus.

Basically set the camera to manual, f8 take a test pic and adjust the flash power to suit, you will be able to guess the exposure with a little practice.

Incidentally the Nikonos tray,arms and flash together weight the housing to very slightly negative underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom