Flat Like Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I used to work at a dive shop in San Pedro. One of the owners, Auggie Ljubic had some great sayings. "Sometimes the kelp was thick like chain link fence". "The ocean is flat like lake". Well, the ocean was very flat all week, raising my hopes for some wide angle opportunities this weekend.

We headed to Buchanan's Reef where there are some beautiful rocks teeming with life. I replaced my dry gloves last week so I could be nice and toasty with new ones. As we dropped toward the reef the visibility went from poor at the surface to about a foot on the reef. Our anchor was fouled in a hole so I reached in to place it on top of the rocks before heading back up. As I pulled the anchor up, I ripped my new glove, instantly flooding my left hand. So much for new gloves.
We felt like losers as we slinked our way back to Golf Ball Reef. We really wanted to try something different today, but the ocean rarely cooperates. Fortunately GBR was a good choice. We had decent conditions and a huge school of barracuda cruised around us a few times during our dives. I told Merry we should dive there again next week. Maybe that will fool the ocean into letting us dive somewhere else.

BuchanansReef_zpsc23ddc27.jpg

Buchanan's Reef

GBR29_zps32a317e6.jpg

This shrimp was so tiny that all I could see were the eyes.

GBR25_zpse8926cdd.jpg

Sea cucumber, baby sized

GBR21_zps285c7f6c.jpg

Navanax eggs

GBR8_zps27412430.jpg

GBR9_zps21c6bc53.jpg

GBR10_zps4b160e27.jpg

GBR13_zps8d88cdb3.jpg

GBR17_zpsff3c1c34.jpg

GBR19_zpsf5449d5b.jpg

GBR22_zpsa83cda0c.jpg

GBR23_zps649c9a07.jpg

GBR11_zpsceccecfa.jpg

GBR2_zps6e58b34e.jpg

GBR3_zps62e5c7ef.jpg

GBR4_zps94435a72.jpg

GBR5_zpseff1ebc4.jpg

GBR7_zps071d2895.jpg

GBR12_zps0bb0f296.jpg

GBR15_zpsb7d3f886.jpg

GBR26_zps2765caf1.jpg

GBR27_zps3639dc48.jpg

GBR28_zps778742fe.jpg

The white nudi, is that a sidegill?

San Miguel Island was also flat as a pancake. We dived Richardson's Rock and it was like a stroll in the park.

Last week Merry saw a Mexican barracuda being followed by a school of California barracuda. She was amazed at how stocky and mean looking the big boys are.

Ha ha..everytime I see California barracuda I think about the toothy curious brutes in the Carribean and wonder why ours are such flighty wimps.

Back
Top Bottom