Flight schedule woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calinectes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well it's 2 1/2 weeks till my adventure to Raja Ampat. I just got informed that the direct flights on Lion between Manado and Sorong have changed. I will no longer be able to fly direct on the embarkation/disemabarkation days from the boat. It would actually take 2 days in Sorong (not 1) to use the direct flights which I'm not willing to do.

So here's my options:

Going: I catch the 4am (arghh) flight on Merpati which at least is direct, and I guess I can crash once I'm on the boat.

Return I had 2 choices (which would you choose?):

Option 1. SOQ -MDC through U.P. 6 1/2 hr. layover in UP getting into Manado 22:30. First leg is Merpati, 2nd is Lion.

Option 2. SOQ - MDC through Ambon and UP. There's 0 layover time in Ambon ( I don't know how they schedule arrival and departure at the exact same time?). It's 3 legs and gets into Manado 13:30. All Lion Air.

The boat is swaying me toward the 1st option. So tell me gang........... what do I do with 6 hrs. in U.P.?

When going to Sorong I have usually used Pelita Air from Makassar - used to be called Ujung Padang - airport code is still UPG. Good connections returning in that I was able to go SOQ-UPG-DPS. You could do the same outbound but the connection was a little tight. I am not up to date on current schedules. By the way, Pelita uses Fokker jets which I preferred to the Lion Air turboprops.

Unfortunately I locked in to Manado from Singapore. Pelita is not one of the choices Kararu is giving me.

Can you tell me how relatively "safe" Makassar is to hang out in all day. What should I do with my time?

I have not had any issues with Makassar in the three times I have been there. We went for a walk along the harbor but that is about all I can say for activities - and it is not the view in Hong Kong, Cape Town, or Sydney. Personally, I don't think Manado is all that great either unless you are into visiting the Mega-Mall. You can fly Manado to Makassar and on to Sorong but it involves a very early start.

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling more at ease now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom