Flights for July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiva729

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey again everyone,
Just curious- does anybody have any experience with flights (when is the best time to buy) and average cost normally during July. We are watching some now out of LAX and SFO, but not sure if they are currently high because of how far out we are or if they drop a little bit closer.

Thanks in advance!

If you're flying out of LAX or SFO, I assume you're flying Philippine Airlines (PAL)? Firstly, I just want to note, I prefer SFO for that flight. It seems like PAL has a better operation there, plus the airport is a bit better IMHO. Secondly, regardless of flight chosen, allow lots of time for check in. As you likely know, international flights suggest 3 hrs, but with PAL, plan for 4 hours. There will be a TON of Filipinos checking in piles of large Balikbayan boxes and it takes forever! Bring your patience.

But to answer your question, the average price I've been paying is about $625 each way, so about $1,250~1,350 round trip (incl fees n such). It is possible that unsold seat rates may come down a bit 2 months out from departure date, but not significantly.

To shed light on my experience, I'm originally from Phoenix, living in Manila. I have always flown here with 2 checked bags, and backpack plus laptop carry-on. I fly Southwest from PHX to SFO, with a 4~5 hour layover then SFO to MNL. Works for me because of less baggage hassles and charges (both airlines allow 2 free checked)

However you decide to get out here, good luck and I really expect you'll have a great time. The travel will be well worth it.

:cheers:

If you're flying out of LAX or SFO, I assume you're flying Philippine Airlines (PAL)? Firstly, I just want to note, I prefer SFO for that flight. It seems like PAL has a better operation there, plus the airport is a bit better IMHO. Secondly, regardless of flight chosen, allow lots of time for check in. As you likely know, international flights suggest 3 hrs, but with PAL, plan for 4 hours. There will be a TON of Filipinos checking in piles of large Balikbayan boxes and it takes forever! Bring your patience.

But to answer your question, the average price I've been paying is about $625 each way, so about $1,250~1,350 round trip (incl fees n such). It is possible that unsold seat rates may come down a bit 2 months out from departure date, but not significantly.

To shed light on my experience, I'm originally from Phoenix, living in Manila. I have always flown here with 2 checked bags, and backpack plus laptop carry-on. I fly Southwest from PHX to SFO, with a 4~5 hour layover then SFO to MNL. Works for me because of less baggage hassles and charges (both airlines allow 2 free checked)

However you decide to get out here, good luck and I really expect you'll have a great time. The travel will be well worth it.

:cheers:

Thank you so much!
So we are actually in Tucson and we would probably fly out of Phx ourselves and would be flying Southwest to either sfo or lax. We are looking at Eva (?) airlines, but PAL is also another option as well. We saw flights for around 952 round trip so makes me wonder if we should pull the trigger on those. I’m just afraid if they drop down we are stuck. Thanks for the heads up on having patience and getting there with plenty of time!

We are looking to fly into Mactan/Cebu based on where we are going- not sure if that really changes much.

Thanks again!

Oh awesome!! We were almost neighbors!

Less than a thousand round trip is pretty good. Not sure if EVA's prices drop or in what conditions they do, but I have heard great things about people's flight experiences on EVA. Supposedly good food and good customer service. Both of which are somewhat lacking with PAL (but I like the nonstop, so I deal with it LOL).

A very important note when returning to AZ, check the flight schedules very carefully between Southwest and EVA or PAL. I sometimes find it difficult to schedule arriving in CA with time to catch a flight to AZ. This is where PAL shines for me; they're now offering a morning departure from MNL on their 1502/1503 flights which land in CA early afternoon. But of course that doesn't necessarily apply from Cebu lol.

Flying into Mactan is much better than Manila, it's a newer airport, much nicer. I'm not sure how much, if at all, it would change things on check-in.

Side question, Any plans to hit Puerto Galera, Anilao, or Manila?

Thanks for all this! We were actually looking at the options for the return flight for that exact reason. No plans to visit this time- we are coming for our honeymoon and we are going to go to Malapascua and Alona for now and hopefully we can go back! Seems like like we can really get a good bang for our buck there!

Thanks again for all the help!

PAL will sell you a through ticket from either LAX or SFO to Cebu.
The Economy Supersaver for LAX/CEB return in Mar 2019 is around US$720.00. Too early for July.
Just keep a close eye on PAL.

EVA will fly to Taipei and direct to Cebu avoiding Manila. Manila airport is a nightmare. If you are not going to Anilao or PG, fly to Cebu.
July is rainy season, you might get really good deals closer to date.

PAL has the exclusive use of terminal(T2) so transferring between International and domestic should not be problematic. However, they do fly some of the routes from T3.
With a through ticket I believe PAL will take good care of you if your incoming flight is late. Because PAL has several daily connection from MNL to CEB.
The in flight food offered by PAL is yuk!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom