FLIP vs Picsio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't done so yet, download the latest firmware for the camera from the JVC website. It helps a bunch in low light situations with white balance.

I bought mine al la carte. Camera from Best Buy $170 (just saw it on B&H Photo for $143 though), housing from Leisure Pro $246, wide angle lens at B&H Photo for $319.

Here is my footage of Roatan shot with the Flip Ultra HD with Ikelite housing in March 2010. More videos to come. I'm also shooting footage this weekend in Cozumel. Subscribe to see more videos! Great camera setup, esp around 70 feet in low light!

YouTube - spalkowetz's Channel

Wonder how your Flip compares to my JVC Picsio, this is from the first time I used it and the first video I tried. Kwaj 2010 Videos

I just got the Flip UltraHD on Amazon for $149.

Also got the housing there for $236 but it is a 3rd party vendor, can't recall at the moment.

For serious underwater film making, I use my HDR-HC7. For convenience, ease of use, quicky editing, quicky posting, I use the Flip Ultra HD.

Depends whether you are working on projects for commercial or family use or you are taking a vacation and don't want to work too hard.

I have several dozen videos made with the Flip UltraHD up on Youtube: YouTube - d5kenn's Channel

Personally, I think it's a pretty good solution. It's fairly inexpensive, very easy to use, and has good image quality.

The main downsides for me are the lack of a white balance lock/control, and a fairly telephoto non-zoom lens (around 40mm give or take) which makes an expensive wide-angle accessory lens almost a necessity.

I haven't had a chance to use a Picsio, but I'd love to play around with the 60fps mode and see how that works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom