Floated Up and Couldn't Get Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, yes, yes!!! That's exactly my situation. I went with a medium but should have had a small. Never even knew about crotch straps until finding this site. I hope to purchase my own regulator and BCD before Curaçao. And I'd like to get one built for us chicks. :p
I definitely found a huge difference between the BCD I wore for my OW course (no crotch strap) and the BP&W that I bought shortly after. The crotch strap means that the harness doesn't even have to be that tight to stop it riding up on the surface. I should add that it is not only BP&W that have simpler harnesses and crotch straps.

During the course, I had to snug the BCD that tight that, if I fully inflated it on the surface, I could only take about half a breath. Changing to a BCD with a crotch strap means that is no longer an issue.

I have to say that a back inflate (without all the buoyancy wrapping round you) is likely to be more suited to anyone that doesn't want a lot of stuff over their chest and abdomen. Ignore anyone that says that back inflate will tip you forward on the surface - that is pretty much down to where you put your weights.

Back
Top Bottom