Floaty Feet With Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used ankle weights while I was getting comfortable with a dry suit. That way I had one less thing to contend with as I was figuring everything else out.

Once I had confidence in buoyancy and bubble management, I found I could dive without the ankle weights.

If you're not in a position to have someone mentor or instruct you, ankle weights are are a decent workaround.

Maybe spend a few bucks for some help from a drysuit instructor :wink:

I recently took a drysuit course to learn how to use my new suit. I thought it was well worth it. Looking back, I am impressed that some people are able to figure it all out themselves: selecting undergarments, using the shoulder dump in conjunction with the BC to do nice controlled descents and ascents, "managing the bubble," suit maintenance, field repairs, etc. In a good drysuit course, you should be able to try out different fins, too, though it sounds like fins are not the source of your problem. I highly recommend a course!

0-24 dives? I see your location and I'm guessing its probably not atypical to start in a dry suit there.

So, you are relatively new to diving. A lot of learning and adjustments to make. Stick with it you will love it :)

Dive more, preferably with a skilled mentor, or get some formal training. Weighting almost certainly needs to be tweaked, and weight distribution.

I like my gaiters, they restrict the movement of the bubble into (and as stated above, out of!) the lower leg /foot area and streamline my legs a bit.

I got a Santi E-motion last season and phat new undies... my feet found all sorts of new buoyancy. I went to Jetfins from Mares polymer things and it made all the difference. I dove with Jefins for decades and I'd forgotten how much I liked them.

Be careful with gaiter, it is a double edge sword. It does not necessary keep air out of feet, but it sure slow down air movement, both in and out. It makes moving bubble harder. Just saying

I wanted to just say thanks for this advice. Now that my trim in a drysuit is a bit better than when I started, I ditched the gaiters. It was much nicer without. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom