Flonase and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B White

Reaction score
Started taking Flonase (fluticasone propionate) recently. It has been almost a miracle cure for the allergy problems I was suffering. I have been diving actively in recent weeks to depths of up to 130' and things seem to be OK. I would like to know if I should worry about any side effects at depths beyond the 130' range (or shallower if their are known issues). The doctor who prescribed it was not very familiar with diving at all and did not seem to know much about the effects of pressure changes on medications. She actually was suggesting Claritin until I requested the Flonase. It would seem that since it is an inhaled nasal spray that there would not be serious side affects at depth. Please advise and if their are concerns, can you provide some example substitutes I can speak to my physician about.

Thanks for the info!

Hello:

Fluticasone propionate nasal spray is used for symptomatic treatment of seasonal or perennial allergic rhinitis or perennial nonallergic rhinitis. It is good for divers since it has no rebound nasal congestion effects. Claritin by mouth would also have beneficial effects on your allergies -without the local effects of the medication.

It has possible local adverse effects on the nasal lining (dryness and ulderation) and can cause suppression of the adrenal and pituitary glands if taken on a chronic basis.

Other than the above, it has no effects on the diver that would be adverse.

To clarify, is Claritin an acceptable choice for diving as well, or is Flonase the better choice. Also can you define what chronic usage would be to me? It seems I have about a five-month prescription for the Flonase. After the first four weeks, I am planning on cutting the dosage in half (currently using one spray on each side twice a day) as the directions say this is possible and will still maintain the same relief.

Thanks for the reply!!

Claritin, which is taken orally, has little of the sedation seen with most anti-histamines. Sedation (e.g., drowsiness, fatigue) occurred in about 12% (e.g., 8 and 4%, respectively) of patients receiving loratadine in clinical trials. The incidence of drowsiness appears to be dose related.

Claritin plus pseudephedrine combines the decongesting ability of the Sudafed with the anti-histaminic action of the Claritin - but with the price of the increased side effects of the Sudafed (sympathetic reactions of increased heart rate , blood pressure and nervousness). Sudafed does not cause rebound congestion when taken by mouth.

Both Flonase and Claritin are acceptable for diving. There is some question that the use of Sudafed with Nitrox might increase the risk of oxygen toxicity. I have always reserved Flonase, Nasonex and similar products for use with the diver with severe rebound nasal congestion.

Depending on your particular situation, Claritin might be the better choice - but the difference is minimal.

'Chronic' means long term regular use.

I am currently under the care of an ENT physician that takes care of divers with barotrauma in our area. He has given me Rhinocort nasal spray and Zyrtec to use. I have had no side effects while diving to depths of 70 feet. I had to use the Rhinocort 4 times a day in the beginning as my ears were closed due to a nasal spur not allowing the air pressure to equalize. I am down to once a day and immediately before diving. I only take Zyrtec for my allergies as I need it once a day. Hope this helps.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom