Flooded on first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I seem to be cursed with GoPro problems. I think my first GoPro had some sort of defect. I could never make it work properly even with software upgrades and eventually returned the thing. Then I get a new GoPro for a dive vacation and the damn thing flooded on my first dive! I'm pretty sure I sealed the housing properly but obviously something went wrong.

Any suggestions for preventing or checking for flooding prior to actually diving? Has anyone else had an issue with their housing flooding? And do I really need to put in the moisture inserts?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. I had to return my first GoPro as well when it developed video recording problems during my first dive trip.

Those moisture inserts are a tight squeeze and if that was your cause it is not the first that I have heard. I still use them but triple check that they aren't interfering with the seal. I have been tempted to leave them out but haven't tested this yet.

Using a very bright light, check the o-ring and the o-ring channel and the o-ring sealing surface for any grit, sand, hairs or anything else at all. Then, carefully close the housing (with a bit of paper tissue inside) and put underwater for a bit. Look for any bubbles. After a bit, take it out of the water, dry it off and open up, checking to see if the paper tissue is moist (or worse).

Then, you can put in the camera and try again.

As above, check O-ring for Any signs of contaminants. Make sure u place camera all the way into housing. It just might not seat right when put in a hurry but still will allow the door to be closed slightly off.

Push firmly on both side of door as far as u can then close the latch. There is a slight but even gap all around. I think forcing the door shut with the spring latch may cause the spring to stretch or uneven seating of the door. If the gaps aren't even all around, open then repeat above steps.

Moisture strip is very helpful but can get in the way of the door. I use a small tool such as a tooth pick to push them in. You will find them a bit damp after a few dives. Heat from the camera causes condensation.

Some reviews even suggest testing an empty case under water before putting camera in.

We didn't find lubricating the O-ring necessary.

Go-pro has very good customer service. See what they will do for you for proper explanation of issue.

I've taken the Hero3+ in its standard, not dive, housing down to a bit past 100m without incident. Lots of careful checking and cleaning of the seals, but I have not tried stuffing any moisture inserts in there.

Using a very bright light, check the o-ring and the o-ring channel and the o-ring sealing surface for any grit, sand, hairs or anything else at all. Then, carefully close the housing (with a bit of paper tissue inside) and put underwater for a bit. Look for any bubbles. After a bit, take it out of the water, dry it off and open up, checking to see if the paper tissue is moist (or worse).

Then, you can put in the camera and try again.

Note that "put it underwater for a bit and look for any bubbles" won't really tell you much:

1.) You need to take the housing to depth to see if it leaks under increased pressure
2.) At increased pressure a leaking housing can let water in without letting air OUT

I'll typically bring just the housing on the first dive of a trip. Take it down to 100ft, press all the buttons, turn all the knobs, etc.

That sucks! I have used GoPros since the original hero. I have been fortunate to never encounter any major issues with the cameras or housings (Knock on wood). The seals in Gopros are silicone, there for not needing the same attention as a rubber o ring would. As mentioned above be sure they are clean and before closing the latch give the backdoor a firm push to seat it before engaging the latch. I store my cameras in the housings closed when not in use. In fact the only time I open them up is to change the battery or pull the sd card. I use the dive housings on all my cameras and before putting the camera in them, I put toilet paper in them and do a test dive. Now just check the toilet paper for moisture. As far as the moisture inserts go, I have never used so I cant help you on that.

I took my GoPro on about 80 dives before it leaked for the first time. Unfortunately, it was right in the middle of the night Manta Dive in Hawaii! I elected to finish the dive and, fortunately, I was able to rinse the camera with fresh water and put it in rice overnight and it came back to life.

The next day, I greased the o-ring and proceeded to do another 20 dives without incident. I do use the moisture strips - I bought them after a trip to Belize where our room was nicely air conditioned, but obviously it was hot and humid outside. Everything fogged up right away upon leaving the room.

I would definitely take a questionable housing on a test dive. I replaced the lens port and made the mistake of not taking it on a test dive. It killed the camera. I've switched to the much less expensive SJ4000. When it dies, I will have about 150 fewer tears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom