Florida Bay Outfitters selling rental fleet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
WOO HOO, I just got the 2010 announcement of Florida Bay Outfitters' rental fleet sale! Jenny took advantage of this sale last year and got herself a really sweet boat. I already have a diving kayak, but I'm going to take a serious look at their touring kayaks this year.

RENTAL BOATS ON SALE

I looked at the list and didn't see any Ocean Kayaks that would work good for diving. Did you see anything? That Malibu Two looked to be a good price though.

Jenny, I wasn't looking at that list but I trust your judgment. I really want a touring kayak. Alas, I don't think I should be spending the money right now. I'm sitting on the fence.

Way down on the bottom of the page is a touring kayak for under $400...bottom of page, "other used kayaks"

Hey, good eye! I hadn't even thought to scroll down.
post_thanks1.gif
Researching that model now; it's an oldie so I need to think about overall value. It does have great reviews.

That Hobie Quest at the bottom could be a good dive yak.

I see they also have one of those clear kayaks. I'm sure that dive gear would scratch the heck out of it, but imagine looking down and seeing the lobster dens, tossing out the anchor and just diving down for them. YUM!

This 2009 review does put me off.
The Sea Lion was an important kayak in the mass production aspect and getting people into the water without having to make their own boat, or having to purchase a more expensive fiberglass kayak.

It has been about six or seven years (maybe more) since it was produced. The plastic ones are very old now, not suitable for putting stress on the plastic. If you find one and want to use it for calm water, it will work. If it is in a reasonable price range (under $300), then it may be a good purchase, but anything over that is excessive.

Good boat for learning in calm water, handles well, lots of stability. Not suitable in plastic for rough water or any situation where the kayak can be stressed. The plastic breaks down over time and these, along with Narpas, Kyooks, Chinooks, etc. are ready to be put out to pasture.

Spend a few bucks more and find a newer boat.

I really should put this purchase off a year. Need to really think about it.

Wow, that review puts a proverbial hole in the kayak!

Sounds like it was a great boat in its day, but I'd rather do without, or spend twice as much, for a boat that I'll get a number of years out of and feel safe in.

That Pine Island to Cayo Costa crossing in January in the Prowler 13 in rough seas, up to four footers, made me think very seriously that if I want to continue to enjoy the hobby of kayak camping, I need a safe boat!!!

yeah, where is that trip report?? :D :D

I'm too embarassed to make that trip report. Let's just say that me and the yak and the li'l spaniels took the Tropic Star back to the mainland on the return trip. :blush:

Did you notice that someone snapped the Hobie Adventure Island up right away? Now that's a sweet toy...if I lived in the Keys, I'd want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom