Florida Bay Outfitters selling rental fleet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was wondering why there was no trip report! I recall it was rough that weekend, and I was hoping all went well.

Nice boat, that Hobie. Looks like fun!

Not just rough, cold as well. Despite wearing canine foul weather gear (for real...I got it from Canada) the dogs were DRENCHED with the 55 degree water on the crossing. I bought one of those water resistant boat bags and put half of my gear in it in the stern, it all got DRENCHED and the damn bag weighed 100 pounds full of water, making the trip very precarious. Luckily, nothing in the hatch section got wet. Also luckily we had super high winds, so I put everything out to dry at the campground and it was all dry in 15 minutes. Even the dogs dried off in 15 minutes.

Sleeping, it was so cold that I wore absolutely every piece of clothing I brought and still got cold. The dogs slept on fleece beds wearing fleece doggy coats with a fleece blanket over them.

Crazily enough, I'm still glad I went!

I think I would have put the fleece covered dogs in the sleeping bag with me! LOL
BRRRRR!!
glad you had fun though!

Hee hee I tried but they just weren't comfortable.

However, the second morning I woke up and Sweet Pea was shivering while Barkley was all wrapped up in the blanket like a burrito. That brat!!!

Hi Debby, I just saw this thread and I am considering a kayak purchase in the near future. I remember you posting
on your pine island cayo costa crossing and wondered how that went. Sorry the weather was not better, it can get
a little blustery in that area at times. Do you feel an extra two feet on your kayak would have made for an easier crossing ?
I guess when it's flat your fine but when the seas kick up even a bit you could be in for a bigger adventure than you had planned !

Last edited:
Length had nothing to do with it, I totally had the wrong style of kayak for those conditions. A sit on top is totally the wrong boat for a long trip, fully loaded, in high seas. A touring kayak is totally not in the budget, so any kayak camping I do in the future will be really short trips.

If I could only own one kayak, it is my sit on top purchased for diving and fishing. My Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler is awesome for that!

No doubt about it, the Ocean Kayak Prowler seems like a nice kayak. I just
had a Wilderness Tarpon 12 foot sit on top in the back bays and it seemed
perfect for the flat waters. I may try out a sit inside 13 footer then make a
decision. Happy paddling !

Wew, Glad to read that post Debby, I just got a steal on an Ocean Prowler 13 on Craigslist. Research I did made it look like a good boat for diving but glad to hear somone actually mention that boat. Been wanting to get into yak diving for about 3 or 4 years now and finally broke down and bought a boat. Can"t wait to try it out.

Congrats. It's a nice boat. I have the 11' model and it is very stable, though a bit slow if going any distance and any speed is required. Fine though for diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom