Florida Keys compared to other dive destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much! We all enjoy shallow dives where you can putter around for 45min to an hour, and my husband and 16y/o enjoy some of the deeper ones, so I figure the 12 y/o and I can do some of the topside things. The eco tours sound great. If I could see a manatee up close and personal, my vacation would be complete!! Appreciate the opinion so much.

#1 Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. My husband just did a two-hour dive on the first reef, just south of Anglin Pier. 15 feet depth, some days 40 feet viz, some days 10 or so until you get to the reef. We have kayaked to second reef, at 30 feet depth. Third reef is 60 feet or so depth, more of a boat dive site. Very family-oriented town, lots of mom-and-pop hotels (Eastward Strand Hotel & Suites), nice beach walks and town walks. We don't do nightlife or restaurants, but it's there. Morning dives are better viz and less current. We usually spend July at LBTS. Independence Day fireworks on the beach are fun. Seven or eight entrances from Pine Ave to Palm Ave, bring quarters for the parking or use the computerized meter, no night parking. One more reason to rent a block from the beach, for 24/7 enjoyment.
#2 Blue Heron Bridge. When the surf is rough or the viz low, go north an hour on I-95 to Riviera Beach. Phil Foster Park is off Blue Heron Bridge Ave, at Singer Island. We dove the West Bridge (smaller bridge) during high tide this month. East and West are both good. Know your high tides and stay out of the current until slack tide or you can be swept under the bridge. Fishermen and boats are concerns, especially the shallow boat channel on East Bridge. The area away from the bridges is 15 to 20 feet deep, clear, some boat traffic. Force E a few blocks from Phil Foster Park is a good source, and does two night dives a month. The park, which has a nice playground, restrooms, picnic areas, and security, is open 8 am to sundown. No night diving, except with permits. Weekends are packed, the parking places go fast. We kayaked at John D. MacArthur Park, on the north end of Singer Island. The same road goes to it. Nice old-style Florida fauna and flora, too shallow for diving.
#3 Peanut Island. We take our kayak to Phil Foster Park and paddle over to Peanut Island until high tide. Nice snorkeling, sandy beaches, the JFK bunker (we have not toured it, yet). Lots of sailboats, power boats, kayakers, and a regular shuttle boat that brings visitors. Camping is available, but we haven't found out yet where to park our vehicle overnight. Another thing on our bucket list.
While we are at it, we use Fill Express on Dixie Highway. The website includes a map of the snorkel trail south of Anglin Pier in LBTS, just before getting to the first reef. They also have info about area wrecks and reefs for those who do boat dives.
Enjoy your stay!
Edit -- We saw our first manatees a few years ago at the boardwalk on Peanut Island, then saw them while snorkeling in the lagoon. This year we saw one under the West Bridge. Yesterday I waited for Richard to exit West Bridge when the tide got stronger and saw an eagle ray and a southern stingray. Then when we were washing our gear at the fish rinse station we saw another southern stingray glide past the wall.

I have had some great dives in the Keys and I have had as many poor dives. I have also spent days when we couldn't dive at all. With due respect to those who live in the Keys or Palm Beach or at least close enough to drive, you think its always great because you stay home when conditions are poor.

Those of us who fly in have to plan well in advance and waste money and dive time if a front moves through during our stay. This one factor keeps me going to the Carribean. I save the Keys for last minute short trips when I can get a reliable short term forecast.

Thanks so much! We all enjoy shallow dives where you can putter around for 45min to an hour, and my husband and 16y/o enjoy some of the deeper ones, so I figure the 12 y/o and I can do some of the topside things. The eco tours sound great. If I could see a manatee up close and personal, my vacation would be complete!! Appreciate the opinion so much.

Rainbow reef offers both in the morning, They have one boat that goes shallow, and another that goes deep.

Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

I have had some great dives in the Keys and I have had as many poor dives. I have also spent days when we couldn't dive at all. With due respect to those who live in the Keys or Palm Beach or at least close enough to drive, you think its always great because you stay home when conditions are poor.

Those of us who fly in have to plan well in advance and waste money and dive time if a front moves through during our stay. This one factor keeps me going to the Carribean. I save the Keys for last minute short trips when I can get a reliable short term forecast.

You hit the nail on the head. The wife and I are spoiled, we dont go out if the seas are more than a foot. Before we lived here we had many a dive in 6 footers and better. That short term noaa forecast put an end to all that.

Last edited:
That is why I wanted some input from those who know. We live in North Carolina and do have to plan in advance. We are planning for July when hopefully the weather will be good, but its always a gamble. Last year we were on a liveboard and had flat seas and great visibility, went again this year and had moderate wind, light rain at times, and viz was not as good. The week before and after we went, they had great conditions. You just never know what you're going to get. We wanted to make as wise a choice as possible considering we get basically one week per year.

Thanks for the responses. We have friends that have been to Bonaire, and they rave about it. What did airfare run for you guys? that was a consideration for us. We also have friends that have done the Blue Heron bridge, so we are thinking of stopping in West Palm either on the way down or on the way back to the Keys. We definitely found out about the wind affecting conditions this year on our liveaboard. We had more wind than last year along with some rain, and our visibity was definitely different from last year, along with current on almost every dive. Still had a good trip, but not the calm seas we experienced the same time last year. I appreciate the input!

I am currently looking for Bonaire air. InselAir flys nonstop 1 or 2 times a week fr Charlotte depending on the season. Delta from Atlanta, Tiara Air from Ft Lauderdale starting in September I read today, Insel and DAE from Miami, AA via Curacao,etc..............Cheapest today is DAE fr mia--cur and on a separate ticket DAE cur-bon for $233. Usual fare from mia is $340 or so which is what it is without splitting the tickets. Last year we took AA mia--cur and hopped the 30 miles to Bonaire on DiviDivi Air.

Keys diving can be great, but as another who has been blown out multiple times--Bonaire!

See www.infobonaire.com for a complete airline list or www.bonairetalk.com

That is why I wanted some input from those who know. We live in North Carolina and do have to plan in advance. We are planning for July when hopefully the weather will be good, but its always a gamble. Last year we were on a liveboard and had flat seas and great visibility, went again this year and had moderate wind, light rain at times, and viz was not as good. The week before and after we went, they had great conditions. You just never know what you're going to get. We wanted to make as wise a choice as possible considering we get basically one week per year.

I was in Grand Bahama Island last week, It rained very hard from 2 am till 9 am on 2 of the days that I went diving, the seas weren't that bad and vis was about 30ft. I've also been in Key largo when what I thought what seemed liked a tropical depression came through one night, trees were down, and power was out for several people, I went diving the morning before and after, the seas were a little ruff, but the diving was still okay. Both of those places are about 60 miles apart so what some would call blown out weather, still doesn't mean blown out diving.

I am currently looking for Bonaire air. InselAir flys nonstop 1 or 2 times a week fr Charlotte depending on the season. Delta from Atlanta, Tiara Air from Ft Lauderdale starting in September I read today, Insel and DAE from Miami, AA via Curacao,etc..............Cheapest today is DAE fr mia--cur and on a separate ticket DAE cur-bon for $233. Usual fare from mia is $340 or so which is what it is without splitting the tickets. Last year we took AA mia--cur and hopped the 30 miles to Bonaire on DiviDivi Air.

Keys diving can be great, but as another who has been blown out multiple times--Bonaire!

not always paradise in bonaire. a photo class(trip leader) just returned last friday from 2 weeks in bonaire; lousy viz(viz has been mediocre for over 4 months locals advised even @ klein bonaire), abundant red algae observed on hard, soft corals , sand/rubble(he heard sewage issues was the culprit), great small creatures but few pelagics or large schools. most flew on insel air, nonstop from MIA(aprox $550-600),,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head. The wife and I are spoiled, we dont go out if the seas are more than a foot. Before we lived here we had many a dive in 6 footers and better. That short term noaa forecast put an end to all that.

Hey DThoughts;
Could you please post up a link to sea conditions for the Key Largo reefs? I found a NOAA Molasses site but don't find sea hights listed (just water temp and salinity). Thanks in advance.

BTW I have found the keys (especially the Duane dive trip) just as enjoyable as Cayman Islands and Belize PLUS one less air leg and the comforts of the good ole USA (including great deli sandwiches).
OMO just get an ocean-front room and everyone will be happy and feliz!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom