Florida Keys Q1 - Best Restaurants in KL & Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harriette's is no longer "Open All Day" (per the former sign)?

Second on Key Largo Fisheries for lunch, super great fresh food, the Lobster BLT is to die for. Not hard to find, nothing is these days with Google Maps and GPS's and whatnot.

The upstairs restaurant (the galley?) by Ocean Divers has the best fish tacos I've had anywhere.

Fish House Encore serves good fish too, didn't make it there on the last trip, dying to try their lionfish appetizer:

View attachment 169499

Another second: Category 3 for their burgers....pulled pork stuffed burger, soooooo good.

The Baja Fish Tacos at the Galley (next door to Ocean Divers, above Sharkeys Pub) are the best I've ever had, including the four years I lived in San Diego Sharkeys Entertainment Much of the menu is actually quite good and nicely priced. Oysters were not expensive and very tasty. They have some acceptable beers.

I do most of my diving in Boynton Beach and Jupiter now, I need to get down to Key Largo to renew my relationship with the Duane and the Spiegel Grove and get some of those fish tacos before the drive home :D

Of Special Note…Key Lime Pie is my all-time favorite pie…who has the best?

Just so you know, real key lime pie isn't green. :)

In Key Largo, you HAVE to go to Mrs. Macs and get a hogfish sandwich. The absolute best I've had anywhere. Go to the original location (the smaller one, bayside). I've been to places all over the Keys and this one is hands down the best. The Key Lime Pie here is mezmerizing. You will thank me. In fact, you will probably ask me for my home address so you can send me a Christmas present.

One of our longtime favorites was forced to move a few years ago and then seemed loud and lackluster in the new location--NOW it's back to really good--Hobo's on US1, KL about MM 102 oceanside. We stopped in a few months ago and had great burgers, etc. We had forgotten about the astounding onion rings, they are incredible. AND, nothing is really high priced! Might go tomorrow!!

All very good places so far on the post, but as for your day trip to KW you have to hit BO's in the Fisherman's Warf area a couple blocks from Sloppy Joe's and a big Divers Direct store. Their fish sandwich is crazy good, but they see know for their conch fritters. The prices are realistic, but the food is worth the trip to KW from Largo alone. The best part is the the place has been hit by hurricanes so many times that its an outside dinning theme (sorta) in true KW style. Trust me, have lunch here after your dive then hit Sloopy joe's for some refreshments after and you will remember it for the rest of your life. When I drive two hours to dive on largo, I drive four more hours south to hit BO's for the food. I also dive in Jupiter area and I am ready for a Keys weekend.

Here's the link for the restaurant :

http://www.bosfishwagon.com/

Enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My wife and I had Christmas dinner at the Old Tavernier last year and it was great. We may do it again this year. The Conch House is really good as well.
Good to hear other suggestions, we have four trips planned in Key Largo through the end of the year.

My husband and I love Alabama Jacks. Technically, it's in Homestead but it's just across the toll bridge connecting Homestead to Key Largo (Card Sound Rd). They have the BEST conch fritters! They have chunks of meat instead of being minced. It doesn't look like much from the outside but those kinda places always seem to have the best food!

Our other favorite place is Porky's Bayside BBQ in Marathon. Another hole in the wall with awesome food. 4 words: Fried Key Lime Pie!

Both of these places have good prices and laid back atmospheres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just so you know, real key lime pie isn't green. :)

Yeppers...but the true color would not look as good on the board. So like many food processors and marketers, I choose "Lime Green" font color for visual effects. :wink:

---------- Post added October 25th, 2013 at 09:46 AM ----------

...Fried Key Lime Pie!

WOW...Fried Key Lime Pie...that is a new one on me. Might have to try that one. :D

One of our longtime favorites was forced to move a few years ago and then seemed loud and lackluster in the new location--NOW it's back to really good--Hobo's on US1, KL about MM 102 oceanside. We stopped in a few months ago and had great burgers, etc. We had forgotten about the astounding onion rings, they are incredible. AND, nothing is really high priced! Might go tomorrow!!

A strong second for Hobo's. Great place for a burger and a beer at a great price. I'm convinced Jimmy wrote the song after eating there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom