Florida Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan

Contributor
Reaction score
Having already spent too much on diving this year we are trying to put together a low cost trip in Nov/Dec.

We don't much like dive boats anyway so we were thinking of a Camping / Shorediving trip to Florida (driving from Texas).

Questions:

1. Does this make sense at all?

2. Where would you go?

3. Will our 3mm wetsuits cut it at that time of year?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it makes sense, you are asking divers!

2. ITo Broward County of course! Great shore diving, and lots of boat diving if you want to sneak one in.

3. Yes, here your 3mm suits are just fine.

Are you looking to dive and camp at the same area? That doesn't exist here as far as I am concerned, but if you are looking to pitch your tent at a campground and travel from there, it works.

From what I hear, the springs would have those options, but then you aren't diving in saltwater..

Diving Guide to Underwater Florida by Ned DeLoach

Get this book...its the Divers Bible of Florida and has just about every site you could want to dive...and then about a hundred more.

USAF Diver once bubbled...
I know a lot of people who consider the Florida Springs as shore diving.

It may be considered as shore diving since you wade into the water but Grajan wants a low cost trip. The springs I've dived at charge you a daily fee.

C B Smith and T Y Park are located 15-30 minutes from the beach at Hollywood, they are Broward County Parks. If you are planning a winter visit I would check on reservations now.

You can also research out some of the other state parks at:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/information/fees.htm

One that I know is interesting for diving is Cayo Costa. Its actually an island, but rustic, so you have to be prepared for most anything.

Then there is John Pennecamp in Key Largo...

Henderson Beach.. thats up near Destin and some scubaboard members such as Genesis.

or Oscar Shearer is near Venice in Sarasota county where you can go shark tooth hunting with lots of shore diving for that.

Lots of possibilities :wink:

Bahia State Park (Florida Keys) just south of the seven mile bridge is an outstanding place. They have developed and undeveloped campsites. Hot showers and nice restrooms.

As for shore diving you will have to swim out about one mile to get into 30 feet of water. Dive boats there charge as little as $35 for a two tank dive.

There is a little known "shore dive" just down the road from Bahia Honda. It is approximately 45 feet deep and has an old ambulance at the bottom. This is a "secret place" so PM me if you want to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom